Low Carb Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are a quick and easy appetizer recipe. The spicy sausage is toned down by the cream cheese filling giving a creamy and spicy zing. This full of flavor recipe is perfect to serve for those who follow a keto low carb diet. Bonus that it is also gluten-free!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
This appetizer recipe is great for parties, game day gatherings, or holiday appetizers with the family. And, for those low carb dieters, Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms can also be a main course with a salad on the side. They can also be used as a side dish recipe!
Why I made this recipe
My mainstay for dinner is a protein, such as beef, chicken, venison, or fish. I usually cooked it in a skillet or on a grill top. No starch, and low carb. I love mushrooms and hot sausage so to me, putting the two together with a cheese filling sounded like a great idea.
I wanted to make a keto stuffed mushroom recipe that we could enjoy either as a meal or an appetizer that we could take with us to parties or serve at our home for family gatherings. This would give us an option to stick to our low carb plan.
Making these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms the Keto Way
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are so easy to make! The first thing I did was take my recipe for Bacon Pecan Stuffed Mushrooms and removed the bread soft crumbs. I sauteed the onions and stems of the mushrooms with butter. If you prefer, you can use olive oil instead of butter.
For the cheese in this recipe, I used full-fat cheese that I shredded myself. I chose a Cheddar Gruyere cheese blend because it has a ton of flavor and I knew it would go well with the hot sausage. The cream cheese helps to bind and thicken the sausage stuffing.
Adapt this recipe to fit your eating style
It is so easy to make adaptions to this recipe and give it variety. Below are some ways you could change it up!
- Change the protein. Substitute ground pork, ground beef, sweet Italian sausage or Spicy Hot Italian sausage, in place of the venison.
- Use different cheeses. I have used Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, and Muenster cheese!
- Use Portobello Mushrooms for a large sausage stuffed mushroom! This makes it easier to be the main course dish. Make it even more special and top it off with a soft fried egg!
- Omit the onions and mix some chopped chives into the cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the cooked mushrooms with some fresh thyme or crispy fried sage leaves
Tips for making low carb stuffed mushrooms
- Make sure the cream cheese is soft prior to adding to the skillet. This will make mixing it into the sausage mixture easier.
- Use full-fat cheese, keto is a low carb high-fat diet. Reduced-fat cheese adds carbs to the plan and defeats the purpose of high fat.
- Use a smaller baking dish to keep the mushrooms close together, or a mini muffin pan to bake the mushrooms. You want them to stay upright.
- Cook the sausage until its a bit on the crispy side. Crispy bits have a ton of flavor!
What to serve with Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Whenever we have an appetizer party I will bring out these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms and a variety of other low carb and regular recipes for my guests. One of my very favorite things to do is make a Low Carb Pizza Crust recipe and top it several different ways.
More low carb options for appetizers would be Mom’s Italian Style Deviled Eggs. This is one of my go-to deviled egg recipes for parties. And, this recipe for Cheesy Jalapeno Bacon Cheeseburger Dip always goes over well.
Set out a bag of chips for your friends who aren’t low carb. These Zucchini Chips with Everything but the Bagel Seasoning is a crunchy option for yours on a low carb meal plan.
If you made this recipe for Low Carb Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms, please leave a comment and rating below!
These Low Carb Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are made with only 6 ingredients and full of amazing flavor. The spicy venison sausage is toned down slightly by the cheese filling and the white wine. This recipe is low carb, keto friendly, and a perfect appetizer for guests!
- 1/3 lb ground venison hot sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 8 oz baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces cheddar gruyere cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean mushroom caps and remove stems. Set caps aside and chop stems into small pieces.
- Cook ground venison sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion and mushroom stems to skillet and cook until softened. Slowly add white wine to de-glaze pan and simmer until wine has evaporated. Add sausage and cream cheese to skillet and stir to combine. Stir in 1/2 half of shredded cheddar.
- Spoon filling into mushroom caps. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and bake in 400 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve while hot.
If you choose to substitute chicken broth for wine, the net carbs are not significantly changed and would still be approximately 3 net carbs per serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 156Total Fat 11.19gCholesterol 29mgSodium 103mgCarbohydrates 3.61gNet Carbohydrates 3.21gFiber .4gProtein 10.11g