Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread all dressed up for a date! This beautiful baked skillet cornbread has a little sweet heat with the fresh taste of summer baked right on top!
This week Sunday Supper Tastemakers are celebrating “Summer Corn” and sharing with you all of our “corny” recipes! A big thank you to Ellen from Family Around The Table who is hosting this event!
I love my sweet heat. One of my very favorite meals is my Spicy Sweet Chili with Brown Sugar Cornbread. I love my cornbread with sugar and I can’t apologize for that! It is the sugar that makes cornbread so appealing to me!
As I was thinking about what to make for this event I came across a recipe in a skillet cooking magazine for making cornbread and topping it with garden fresh veggies. I had to take that idea and run with it making slight changes along the way for the way I knew I would love to eat it!
Grumpy isn’t much of a cornbread eater. He used to eat his chili served over top of rice. I will still do that for him sometimes but because I’m a chili and cornbread girl, we have to take turns with what we serve alongside of it.
The corn this summer has been delicious. I have become quite adept at cooking it on the grill which has become my favorite way of eating it! Just a little olive oil rubbed over the cob, sprinkled with a little garlic grinder salt, and grilled to perfection. The corn is sweet with a little of the flavorful salt combined.
For this recipe I went with just fresh cut corn on the cob – uncooked. It was going to be baked in the oven after all so I felt I did not need to precook it. I love how beautiful and summer fresh this recipe is. Serve beside a small bowl of chili or even just a piece of grilled meat, it is all you need to make your meal complete!
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar-gruyere cheese
- 1 jalapeno, sliced into 9 thin slices, chopping the remaining jalapeno
- 1/4 cup red onion slices
- 1 cup baby heirloom tomatoes, sliced in half
- l large ear corn, kernals cut off (should yield about 2/3 cup)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Place tablespoon of oil in skillet and place in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and butter.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add 1/2 cup of cheese, diced jalapeno, and 1/3 cup corn.
- Pour batter in hot skillet. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and top cornbread with tomato halves, remaining corn, cheese, and 1/4 cup red onion. Return to oven and cook for another 20 minutes, until cornbread leaves no wet batter on toothpick when inserted in center of bread.
- Cool on cooling rack. Serve warm.
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
SKILLET JALAPENO CORNBREAD – PIN IT