I love it when I am on vacation and have a few days to pamper myself and do what I want. I have always loved to read and always loved to have a snack when I’m doing it! Back in my younger days my friend Tracy and I would read a book and eat candy bars and cheese curls. Yeah, not really the healthiest thing to do! As I’ve gotten older I have moved to more natural ways to sweeten my reading time incorporating less sugar in my snacking. Savoring this biscotti with my tea while getting into my novel being one of them!
Chocolate Dipped Almond Biscotti
recipe adapted from David Lebovitz
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Truvia® Baking Blend
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- chocolate candy coating (optional)
- 1 large egg (for the egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the 3 eggs, Truvia® Baking Blend, and almond extract. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients. Mix in the almonds and mini chocolate chips until the dough comes together. Your dough may be a little crumbly. If you think its too crumbly to work with and shape into a log, add another egg.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into two logs. Transfer to baking sheet, evenly spaced apart.
- Gently flatten tops of logs. Beat remaining egg and brush tops of logs liberally with egg. Place in oven and bake 25 minutes, until dough is firm to the touch.
- Remove logs from oven and cool 15 minutes. On cutting board, using serrated edge knife, diagonally cut cookies into 1/2 inch slices. Lay cookies cut side down on baking sheet and return to oven for 20 minutes, turning cookies over halfway during baking.
- Once baked, cool completely and store in airtight container. If desired, dip half of the cookie in melted chocolate and cool until hardens.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 40 mins.
Total time: 60 mins.