I have been on a steel cut oats kick lately.  Partly because contrary to my last post, I have been attempting to cook in a healthier way for my Grumpy.  We found out recently that his cholesterol was way too high and with the stressful life we lead, that is not a good thing.  The Sauteed Steel Cut Oats with Cranberry Infused Maple Syrup was my first try with something out of the ordinary – and it was a big hit here.  So much so we have had it several times since I first made it.

Leslie of The Hungry Housewife grabbed my attention to her Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal which I had to try.  I did and loved it and of course the next time I made it I had to change it up and make sure I had some maple-y goodness in there too.  I just to have maple syrup with certain things, and oatmeal is one of them.  After all, I am a country girl who was born and raised in a maple producing area, I had to do something with the maple walnut thing!

Grumpy tried the oatmeal and really didn’t care for it which kind of surprised me because he loves pumpkin.  I loved it but I had to make just regular oatmeal for him. He is pretty picky if you ask me so I really shouldn’t have been surprised, however, at least he gave it a try!  I ate mine the way you see it here.  Grumpy made toast with peanut butter, mixed some brown sugar in his oatmeal and ate it on TOP of his toast!  I thought that was weird, however he was eating healthy so I didn’t gripe that he didn’t like my oatmeal.  Which way would you prefer to eat your oats?
Pumpkin Spiced Steel Oats with Maple Walnut Cream & Cranberry Topping
  • small pinch allspice
  • generous pinch nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup toasted walnut pieces
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • dried cranberries
  1. Bring water and almond milk to a boil. Add steel cut oats and stir. Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook about 10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in pumpkin and spices. Top with Walnut Maple Cream.

1. claudia @Whats cookin November 12, 2011 at 11:48 am - Reply

Yummy looks great Shelby! Healthy is all I eat, doing this backwards, suppose to lose wait for summer instead I lose int he winter! lol

2. bellini November 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm - Reply

This would be such a comforting breakfast this morning Shelby before I head to work.

3. Lesa @Edesia's Notebook November 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm - Reply

Wow, so festive looking! Beautiful.

4. Leslie November 12, 2011 at 12:54 pm - Reply

Thanks for the love!!!

5. Mari @ Mari's Cakes November 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm - Reply

It looks so appetizing and comforting! Oatmeal and maple together taste great.

6. Linda November 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm - Reply

Looks wonderful! I like rolled oats, cooked very well, and mixed with molasses, milk, and a little bit of salted butter, but I think the addition of pumpkin and using maple syrup instead would rapidly become a favorite. I actually think Grumpy's version sounds delicious! 🙂

How many cups of steel cut oats did you use?

7. Shelby November 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm - Reply

Oops, thanks for pointing that out Granny! I added the oats…its 1 cup. I used the same ratio on the package except I used 1 cup almond milk in place of 1 cup of the water.

8. Barbara Bakes November 12, 2011 at 6:29 pm - Reply

Looks like a fabulous breakfast!

9. Katherine Martinelli November 12, 2011 at 11:29 pm - Reply

I like your way of eating oats better than grumpy's 😉 This looks delicious. I seriously love oatmeal, and pumpkin so there's no question here.

10. honeyb November 13, 2011 at 6:58 am - Reply

I really need to get with it and make some oatmeal. I love it and used to ALL the time. Lately, I'm on a yogurt/granola kick and suppose I'm also just too lazy. 😉

11. Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! November 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm - Reply

The nice thing about colder weather is having oatmeal in the morning. I just use instant and add lots of cinnamon and some stevia.

Good to see that Grumpy's trying hard to eat healthy! Husband's can be so stubborn sometimes 😉

12. motherrimmy November 14, 2011 at 3:29 am - Reply

I'm a big fan of oatmeal, and since I have a hubby who needs to reduce his cholesterol levels too, I'll see if likes this. Besides, pumpkin is packed with good for you stuff, so why not add it to your oatmeal. Delish if you ask me!

13. Miriah October 19, 2019 at 5:28 pm - Reply