Garlic Scrambled Eggs with Chickpeas on a plate

This recipe for Garlic Scrambled Eggs is a recipe I grew up with. My mom would make this often. Sometimes for breakfast, other times for dinner. It is basically eggs scrambled with some garlic and seasonings with some chickpeas tossed in for good measure!

Overhead view of garlic scrambled eggs with chickpeas and cilantro with a large fresh strawberry to the left of the plate

What is for breakfast in your house?  In our house it is sometimes Blueberry Pancakes (for me).  And, other times without blueberries, (for Grumpy). I might get adventurous and make them healthy, with different fruits, and sometimes I veer off the path of the cake and make Invisible Banana French Toast or these Waffled French Toast Sticks! However, this week, it was this scrambled egg recipe!

Kicking Mom’s Garlic Scrambled Eggs up a Notch!

Maybe others have eaten Garlic Scrambled Eggs this way, but I haven’t ever come across it online!   With Easter being here this weekend, I thought what better way to think about breakfast than with eggs?!

I took my mom’s recipe and doctored it up to suit my tastes more and this is what I came up with.  Garlicky, slightly spicy goodness.  Have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!  Have it in a wrap with a little salsa and call it good!  If you try this, do let me know what you think!

A large serving spoonful of egg mixture

How do you eat your eggs

Garlic Scrambled Eggs with Chickpeas are probably my favorite way to eat eggs. I grew up loving my Nanny’s eggs fried in butter, but when I make them for myself, this flavor packed Garlic Scrambled Eggs with Chickpeas recipe is my favorite.

My children LOVE poached eggs. Their favorite ways to eat an egg is on a Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict or this Thanksgiving Eggs Benedict. I love the mature palate of my sons!

cooked scrambled egg mixture in the skilet with a serving spoon to the back

Other delicious family recipes for breakfast

The newest family recipe for breakfast that has become a favorite of mine, is a grain -free cereal recipe. Chunky Monkey Noatmeal is so delicious and filling!

We also love our breakfast muffins! Our favorites are Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, Almond Joy Muffins, and To Die for Blueberry Muffins. However, my newest muffin obsession is this Paleo Pumpkin Muffin recipe!

pinnable image

*If you made this recipe for Garlic Scrambled Eggs with Chickpeas, please give it a star rating*

Garlic Scrambled Eggs with Chickpeas on a plate
Yield: 4 servings

Garlic Scrambled Eggs with Chickpeas

You won't believe the delicious flavors from this simple egg recvipe!

• 1 (15 ounce can) garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup diced red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

1. In non-stick skillet, heat oil until hot, fry drained chickpeas on medium heat with garlic powder an salt until they are hot and start to pop. Remove chickpeas from skillet and set aside.
  2. Pour beaten eggs into skillet and scramble until they are still slightly wet. Stir in chickpeas and cook another 30 seconds to bring back to temperature. Sprinkle with cilantro and roasted red peppers.
  3. If your feeling really adventurous you could sprinkle a few red pepper flakes into your oil. While this was a little spicy, I would have l liked a little more heat!

Amount Per Serving Calories 268Total Fat 13gCarbohydrates 25gNet Carbohydrates 18gFiber 7gProtein 15g

Nutrition information =is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.

1. Amanda April 23, 2011 at 1:07 pm - Reply

Ooooo yummy! I on the other hand LOVE eggs and have them 3-4 times a week for breakfast 🙂 This looks wonderful Shelby!

2. honeyb April 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm - Reply

Looks like a good healthy meal to me, but same as you, my husband would NOT like the added wonderful protein of the chickpeas. MEN! 😉

3. Leslie April 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm - Reply

Mmm.I bet tthose were some filling eggs! YUM

4. Kristen April 23, 2011 at 6:16 pm - Reply

Sounds like something I would like, but my husband would take a pass just like your Grumpy. Men are much less adventurous when it comes to their stomachs!

5. Kirstin April 23, 2011 at 10:01 pm - Reply

Wow! I would not have thought to include those ingredients in scrambled eggs, but they do look yummy .

6. briarrose April 23, 2011 at 10:25 pm - Reply

Wonderful egg dish with the chickpeas and cilantro….so tasty.

7. Matt and Kelly Woodland April 25, 2011 at 6:28 pm - Reply

NEVER in my wildest dreams would I have thought to combine these things, and I cannot imagine why not?!? I LOVE all of these ingredients- I am fairly confident that you just became my breakfast food goddess! THANK YOU!!!

8. teresa April 25, 2011 at 7:32 pm - Reply

this is a fantastic breakfast, full of great healthy things! love it!

9. Nutmeg Nanny April 26, 2011 at 1:13 am - Reply

I love eggs and I love chickpeas. I'm glad to see a recipe combining the two 🙂

10. Barbara Bakes April 26, 2011 at 1:30 pm - Reply

Great idea to spice it up. I bet chorizo would be a great addition too.

11. Winnie April 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm - Reply

Sounds like a terrific combination!

12. Vickie LeBlanc April 27, 2011 at 11:32 pm - Reply

Holy yum, this looks delicious and tasty. With our laying hens, sometimes we don't know what to do with the surplus of eggs… I'll have to try this recipe.

13. 5 Star Foodie April 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm - Reply

I like the idea of combining scrambled eggs and chickpeas, sounds like a very yummy breakfast!

14. Lori May 2, 2011 at 8:23 pm - Reply

A wonderful idea. Looks so good.

15. Elle May 3, 2011 at 2:50 pm - Reply

I love new ways with eggs, and this one looks fantastic! A must try, for sure–especially love the chickpeas!

16. Shannon May 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm - Reply

My bf and I do this all the time with leftover chickpeas from dinner recipes. I do something similar:

saute the chickpeas with some diced peppers and onions and whatever leftover veggies or lunch meat we have on hand and want to use up. It's usually different every time, and we have eaten with on its own, with toast, or in a wrap with salsa (which was very good!). Glad to see the chickpea scrambler getting out there!

17. Janna Renee May 10, 2011 at 5:36 am - Reply

i am loving all the bean recipes i have been seeing lately! This one sounds awesome!

18. Jill from Killeny Glen May 12, 2011 at 12:34 am - Reply

We adore eggs at The Glen…this looks like an awesome breakfast! Hearty and healthy!

19. Petra May 19, 2011 at 10:54 am - Reply

Now that's a breakfast right down my alley, and gluten-free. The only thing I couldn't do is garlic powder, I really think the stuff is yucky 😉 But I could use garlic and chile pepper infused oil for cooking, hmmm…

20. Erica July 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm - Reply

What a great idea! I love both chickpeas and scrambled eggs- this is a match made in heaven!

21. Miriah October 25, 2019 at 9:56 am - Reply