To start the new year off right, Grumpy and I are back on track to eating healthy.  Both of our lifestyle’s are very sedentary which means we either need to move more or eat less or both!  Well, I’m moving with the Wii Fit and Active and I’m pressuring Grumpy to at least do yoga – to stretch his back – good exercises for him!

Earlier on our vacation I sat down and went through some of the more recent Cooking Light magazines.  The December 2010 on had a recipe for Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy.  They served it with Herbed Mashed Potatoes and Buttered Peas with Shallots.  I forwent the herbed part of the mashed potatoes, but made everything else.  The verdict?  Grumpy said it was very edible and he was stuffed.  Guess its a winner!

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy & Buttered Peas with Shallots
adapted from Cooking Light, Dec 2010 magazine
1/3 cup finely diced onion
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground sirloin
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon butter
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup dry red wine or beef broth (I went with broth)
1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Optional- if needed to thicken gravy more: 1 tablespoon cold water and 2 teaspoons cornstarch – blended and stirred into hot broth mixture.
Combine onion, pepper, salt, garlic, and beef. Shape into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.

Melt butter in pan. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in broth; cook 2 minutes. Combine remaining broth and flour; add to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until thick. Add patties and vinegar to pan; cook 2 minutes.

*Notes:  The gravy wasn’t thick enough for us.  I ended up adjusting it more by softening a couple teaspoons cornstarch in about 1 tbsp cold water and stirring it into the hot broth.  It was very flavorful and if I had red cooking wine, I am sure I would have enjoyed it even more! (If possible!).  Dicing the onion instead of grating them was my choice because I like to see my onions.  I used white button mushrooms that were already sliced.

Buttered Peas with Shallots
Cooking Light Magazine, Dec 2010

1 shallot, sliced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups frozen peas

Saute shallot in butter until soft.  Add peas and cook and stir until peas are hot and tender.  Salt to taste.

1. Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" January 3, 2011 at 12:16 am - Reply

That sounds so good and homey right now! I need to dig out all of my old CL magazines and start cooking from them, they really do have some great ones.

2. Jamie January 3, 2011 at 12:45 am - Reply

This recipe was on my "to make" list. This is my kind of comfort food. It looks delicious.t

3. Patsyk January 3, 2011 at 1:48 am - Reply

Good to know it was a winner! I just sat down with the Jan/Feb issue today and was marking recipes that need to hit my table this month.

4. Cristine January 3, 2011 at 2:11 am - Reply

That looks fantastic!

5. Donna-FFW January 3, 2011 at 11:21 am - Reply

I had this bookmarked too from the same magazine. I will definitely try it now since it meets your– and Grumpy's– approval.

6. Cajun Chef Ryan January 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm - Reply

Shelby,
    I would use the red wine and beef broth also, the wine adds so much to the overall flavor profile of the gravy.

Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

7. briarrose January 3, 2011 at 1:05 pm - Reply

Fantastic meal…it looks fabulous! I have no made salisbury steak in forever….enter craving. 😉

8. Megan January 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm - Reply

This is my kind of meal! Thanks Shelby, I needed this recipe. 😉
    Looks like a perfect weekday meal.

9. vanillasugar January 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm - Reply

you know what i love about salisbury steak? those cold leftovers that go great in sammies. with mayo, tomatoes, pickles, cheese. ohh my.
    happy new year shel!

10. teresa January 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm - Reply

we're trying to eat healthier too, this looks like a great way to start, so hearty and comforting!

11. marla January 4, 2011 at 3:45 am - Reply

Now is is certainly the perfect meal for the new year! My whole family would love this saucy salisbury steak. Happy New Year to you 🙂

12. bellini valli January 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm - Reply

It looks delicious Shelby and the perfect way to usher in the New year!!

13. Perceptive Distortion September 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm - Reply

Looks so good I can almost smell it through the screen.

14. Anonymous November 8, 2019 at 5:06 pm - Reply

15. […] Hamburger Steaks are a take on the Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy recipe that we love so much. It is made with ground beef that is simply seasoned with salt, pepper, […]