Apple Fritters

What do a mother and son do when they are basically snowed in for the day?  Well, this mother and son hung out, watched some TV, played some games, took down the Christmas decorations, cleaned up the house some, and the son went out to clean the cars off and touch up where the snow plow didn’t get.  🙂  I’m such a lucky mom to have such a handsome helpful son!

Apple Fritters

It was only deserving he should be treated when he came in….to some fresh, homemade apple fritters!

Apple Fritters
Author: Grumpy’s Honeybunch
  • 1-1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup [url href=”https://staging.grumpyshoneybunch.com/2009/09/moms-apple-pie-in-jar.html” target=”_blank”]mom’s apple pie filling[/url]
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • Oil for frying
  1. Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add milk, pie filling vanilla, and butter.  Stir until combined.  Scoop with small cookie scoop into hot oil (I usually test the oil with a little dough before I start dropping the fritter dough all in – if it sizzles and bubbles, it is ready! OR you can use a candy thermometer and heat the oil to 350-375.)
  2. Flip fritters once to brown evenly, remove from hot oil and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve to the boy who just had a good workout in the wind shovelling and cleaning out snow!

1. ann December 27, 2010 at 7:03 pm - Reply

You're right, he is a handsome and helpful son! Wow, you guys were so productive on your snow day. Those apple fritters look fantastic.

2. Shelby December 27, 2010 at 7:11 pm - Reply

Thanks Ann! Now we are just going to do nothing the rest of the day! lol. Well, he will keep playing games. 😉

3. marla December 27, 2010 at 7:29 pm - Reply

Looks like a super fun day with your son! How nice of you to treat him to these apple fritters. XO

4. briarrose December 27, 2010 at 7:57 pm - Reply

A wonderful treat!

5. Cajun Chef Ryan December 27, 2010 at 7:58 pm - Reply

After all the de-icing and de-snowing the apple fritters are a perfect energy treat!

6. Debbi Does Dinner Healthy December 27, 2010 at 8:24 pm - Reply

These look excellent! Any idea what to use if you don't want to make a huge batch of the pie filling? I suppose I could just make a small batch. Thanks!

7. Shelby December 27, 2010 at 8:28 pm - Reply

Debbie, you could probably just dice some apples and mix with some applesauce….make a real chunky sauce. Would be healthier too I suppose. 😉

8. Camala - CC Recipe December 27, 2010 at 8:28 pm - Reply

What a yummy treat for such a great day!

9. All That's Left Are The Crumbs December 27, 2010 at 9:27 pm - Reply

That just looks so cold. I haven't seen, or even been near, snow in years – unless you count the trip I made to the top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii. The apple fritters look wonderful. What a nice treat.

10. Pegasuslegend December 27, 2010 at 9:57 pm - Reply

Omg thats alot of son! Your sons a gem taking care of his mom! love the fritters!

11. ourfamilyworld December 28, 2010 at 1:06 am - Reply

What an amazing son. this recipe looks amazing especially in this cold weather. Happy holidays.

12. baking.serendipity December 28, 2010 at 1:28 am - Reply

I love apple fritters and these look fantastic 🙂 I hope you had a great Christmas and are still enjoying the holiday season 🙂

13. Diethood.com December 28, 2010 at 3:07 am - Reply

Awww that's a sweet son! And his mommy was just as sweet to make these awesome treats! I love apple fritters – great choice!

14. Kathleen December 28, 2010 at 3:17 am - Reply

What a great son! Great mom too!!!! Those fritters look amazing!!

15. Maria December 28, 2010 at 4:36 am - Reply

These look fantastic! Stay warm!

16. NikiTheo December 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm - Reply

Oh my, I'll shovel and clean off the car for one (or more) of these!

17. Megan December 28, 2010 at 5:10 pm - Reply

Brrrrr…
    I would want to be inside eating fritters and looking out with a mu HOT coffee! 🙂
    These look totally satisfying!

18. BakingWithoutABox December 28, 2010 at 8:37 pm - Reply

What a fantastic reward! I started sniffing the air when I merely heard the words apple fritters. Oh so good.

19. teresa December 28, 2010 at 11:10 pm - Reply

oh yummy! happy holidays!

20. Maris (In Good Taste) December 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm - Reply

Apple fritters sound perfect for a cold snowy day!

21. averagebetty January 7, 2011 at 11:32 pm - Reply

These look so good!! Perfect treat for a tough job 🙂

22. Beth Michelle April 10, 2011 at 7:32 pm - Reply

Yum I love the sound of these! We dont get snow days in Israel but down here in the desert we have big sandstorms that leave us house bound!

23. Ken Goh November 8, 2013 at 10:29 am - Reply

I have never seen apple fritters before but it looks extremely nice. Pin in my group. Cheers and have a nice day!

24. […] Apple Fritters – Grumpy’s Honeybunch […]