Seriously.  I wanted this hot weather and I got it.  Ok, well maybe I didn’t wish for such high humidity and 90+ degree weather, but I’ll take that over cold any day.  I know.  I’m weird.  Grumpy tells me that all the time.  I could live in Florida myself.  That is what the weather feels like today.  Thick, heavy, warm.  I can complain about Grumpy though. I didn’t have time to fold the towels this morning and I left them next to Grumpy’s chair hoping he would fold them for me.  Somehow, I think he is blind when it comes to things like that. Basically because they were still there when I got home.  Hrumph.

Well just for that, if Grumpy wasn’t wanting to eat my Summer Shrimp Salad I made tonight, I was going to let him use the microwave to heat up some left over BBQ Burgers.  I admit.  I was a little scared to make this recipe.  Why?  Because it was raw.  Well, the shrimp wasn’t raw, but everything else was!  I was willing to take a chance though because I did not want to turn the stove or oven or even light the grill tonight!  Turned out to be very good!  I’m definitely going to enjoy this for lunch tomorrow too!  It was sweet with that smoky cumin hint and the lime with cilantro just made it perfect.  The sweetness definitely came from the fresh corn – oh my that was really good corn!

Summer Shrimp Salad
adapted from Cooking Light

Dressing:
1/2  cup  vegetable broth
1 1/2  teaspoons  cornstarch
3  tablespoons  fresh lime juice
2  teaspoons  extra virgin olive oil
3/4  teaspoon  sugar
1/2  teaspoon  ground cumin
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black peppercorns
Salad:
1-1/2  pound  medium shrimp, I bought the pre-cooked from the market and just rinsed it good and removed the tails
1 1/2  cups  julienne-cut yellow squash
1 1/2  cups  julienne-cut zucchini
1 1/2  cups  cherry tomatoes, halved
1  cup  fresh corn kernels
2  tablespoons  minced fresh cilantro

To make the dressing mix all the ingredients in a sauce pan.  Heat until it just begins to thicken.  Turn off heat and set aside to cool.

To assemble the salad, combine all salad ingredients into large bowl, pour dressing over top and stir to coat.  YUMMY!

1. Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog July 6, 2010 at 10:56 pm - Reply

How wonderful colorful salad! I like also the sweetness supplied by corn 🙂

Cheers,

Gera

2. pegasuslegend July 6, 2010 at 11:16 pm - Reply

What a great salad and love this shrimp!

3. bellini valli July 7, 2010 at 1:01 am - Reply

Anything that is no cook is worth a try in the summer heat.

4. Barbara DeGroot July 7, 2010 at 1:09 am - Reply

I thought winter would never this year but now I miss it. Perhaps like you're husband, I am just grumpy.I certainly wouldn't complain about this shrimp recipe, though, which is perfect for the current summer heat. Love the combo of lime, cumin, coriander greens, and veggies you've used here. Nice!

5. marla@familyfreshcooking.com July 7, 2010 at 2:42 am - Reply

Your summer shrimp salad would make me very happy, heck I would even fold your towels if you gave me some 🙂
    xo

6. jo oliver July 7, 2010 at 3:30 am - Reply

looks like my lunch for Fri!

7. Donna-FFW July 7, 2010 at 3:54 am - Reply

What a GORGEOUS salad. SOOO perfect for these hot summer days we are experiencing here in NJ at the moment. I love the flavors and the vibrant colors are beautiful!

8. Jessie July 7, 2010 at 1:56 pm - Reply

I love this salad, so refreshing and light! I could use of this myself right now. Yesterday was so hot it was 103 degrees here in NYC, talk about a heat wave whew!

9. Pam July 7, 2010 at 8:04 pm - Reply

Fresh corn is amazing isn't it!!

10. Gourmande July 8, 2010 at 6:45 pm - Reply

That sounds fresh and delicious.

11. baking.serendipity July 12, 2010 at 8:28 pm - Reply

What a perfect meal for the hot weather!

12. megan July 14, 2010 at 1:55 am - Reply

It's suppose to be in the 100's here and I'll keep this salad in mind. It looks cool and refreshing, and I bet I would LOVE it!

13. Lauren August 29, 2010 at 5:50 pm - Reply

This sounds like the perfect Healthy Side Dish. I am not so sure I would prepare it as a main course for dinner but definitely as a light summer lunch or dinner side dish. I absolutely love fresh vegetables and in combination with shrimp, lime juice and cilantro I cant imagine anything better for summer!