Sliders are my favorite way to eat a burger of any type.  The size is just perfect for me – and it is perfect for when your watching what you eat also!  It is easy to eat one s.l.o.w.l.y.  and be satisfied.  At least for me it is.  :o)  Now, I have to tell you that I have never had a White Castle burger of any kind.  The place doesn’t exist in New York State – that I know of.  I wasn’t sure what to expect but I must say, it was pretty darn good!

I saw this recipe on Robin Sue’s blog Big Red Kitchen (site no longer exists) last year when she made them. Don’t ask me why or how it took me so long to finally make them myself.  I know it won’t be the last time!  I think these would be fun to serve at a small party and I also think they would travel well – and that they would warm in the oven wrapped in foil well too!

This is really quick to throw together.  I took Robin Sue’s recipe and cut it in half – since it is just Grumpy & me we didn’t need 12 sliders!  I also used red onion flakes (made by Litehouse and oh so good!) and Morton’s Nature’s Seasoning Blend instead of seasoned salt (less sodium)

White Castle-Like Burgers
adapted from Big Red Kitchen

If you make this as a half recipe it is likely it will serve 2 – 3 people.  Grumpy had two and I had one so there are leftovers.  I will see how they are warmed up when I take one to lunch tomorrow.  🙂  I served these with Savory Grilled Potatoes from allrecipes.com.  Another definite keeper!

1/4 cup dehydrated red onion flakes
1 lb 80/20 ground beef
Morton’s Nature’s Seasons, seasoning blend OR seasoned salt
6 dinner rolls

Sprinkle dehydrated onion flakes in bottom of 9×9 (or 8×8) baking dish.  Crumble raw beef over top of the onions evenly.  Pat in dish making one giant burger.  Sprinkle lightly with seasoning.

Bake in 400 degree oven 15-20 minutes (it took mine only 15).  Remove from oven, carefully drain the burger juice from pan and then pat the top of burger with a paper towel to absorb fat that has accumulated on top.  Place 4 cheese slices on top of meat.  Place back in oven and cook 2-3 minutes more or until cheese begins to melt.

Cut burger into 6 even pieces.  Serve on dinner roll (was the perfect size for this!) with dill pickles, mustard, mayo and/or ketchup, if desired.  I see that Robin Sue served them with dill pickle slices and a side of ketchup.  Maybe that is the White Castle way of serving them – and I’m sure good – but I gotta have all my condiments!  🙂 Enjoy!

1. pegasuslegend June 16, 2010 at 1:23 am - Reply

my brother is going to love this recipe he was just talking about how much he like white castle hamburgers! thanks for sharing they look fabulous~ 🙂

2. Mags June 16, 2010 at 1:56 am - Reply

Oh man, I just love sliders! There's just something about them that appeals to me. I want one of those now!

3. Tara June 16, 2010 at 1:56 am - Reply

YUM! I will have to try these! Thanks!

4. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme June 16, 2010 at 2:05 am - Reply

I've never had White Castle, either, but I do love sliders. I'd also bet that my grandbabies would like this recipe. You know how kids like anything mini-sized. Gotta give this a try real soon!

5. jo oliver June 16, 2010 at 2:18 am - Reply

Sounds great. Never ate at WC before, but from what I see it is much like a Krystals?

6. Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" June 16, 2010 at 3:55 am - Reply

lol, did I mention that I made these the other week on FB?? I forget. Anyways, these did not go over as well as I thought they would in my house *sigh*, besides these were some of the photos I accidentally deleted. Yours look great though!

7. Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog June 16, 2010 at 4:18 am - Reply

Irresistible burger masterpiece, it looks heavenly!

Cheers,

Gera

8. Susie @ Hick Chick June 16, 2010 at 4:31 am - Reply

I made those for SS's birthday sleep-over all the 11 year old girls loved them!

9. Jason June 16, 2010 at 5:00 am - Reply

Great looking sliders. I am sure they are much better than a white castle burger!

10. bellini valli June 16, 2010 at 10:23 am - Reply

I have been searching for slider recipes lately. Besides the beef there are lamb, crab and falafel that are in the works someday.

11. Aggie June 16, 2010 at 11:56 am - Reply

I saw these a year ago too and still haven't made them! I bet they were good! They look delicious!

12. Barbara @moderncomfortfood June 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm - Reply

People of a "certain age" (ahem!) will remember White Castle restaurants and their addictive little burgers well. I haven't seen one in ages where I live, though. Thanks for bringing back fond memories and the taste, a la HoneyB, of the real thing!

13. Tupper Cooks! June 16, 2010 at 12:49 pm - Reply

I love me some sliders-I worked in Massapequa, Long Island back in the early 80's and there was a White Castle there-you'd literally pick up a bag of burgers-great late night snack. I'm surprised the big chains haven't tried marketing them. Great pics- got me drollin' again!

14. Liv Wan June 16, 2010 at 1:48 pm - Reply

Wow…this burger just looks taste!!
    Can I stop by your place this evening 😉 ??

15. Pam June 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm - Reply

I need to try these – yum! I love, love, love sliders.

16. Barbara Bakes June 16, 2010 at 3:07 pm - Reply

A slider is the perfect sized burger for me too. I'm sure we'd love these too.

17. Cooking with Kait June 16, 2010 at 3:39 pm - Reply

I've never had a white castle burger, but I keep hearing how good they are. The sliders you made look delicious!

18. Keri June 16, 2010 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that there ARE White Castle locations in New York…well, in the City anyway. I'm not sure about your area, but you can always search their web site. They really are delicious burgers and I absolutely recommend you try them at least once if you have the opportunity 🙂 Here's the results I got when I just searched "New York" http://www.whitecastle.com/locations?origin=new+york

19. Grumpy and HoneyB June 16, 2010 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Hi Keri! Thanks for the link. I am way at the top of NYS – almost in Canada! Looks like those locations are all downstate (a good long drive 🙂 from me!).

20. Anonymous June 16, 2010 at 8:11 pm - Reply

hi, it's kristina. I wanted to let you know that there are white castles all over long island. we go every time we go down. justin and i prefer the chicken rings though; they also have really yummy fries and chocolate milkshakes!

21. Jessie June 16, 2010 at 9:18 pm - Reply

Honestly I rather have these over white castle! They look delicious!

22. pigpigscorner June 16, 2010 at 9:54 pm - Reply

I've never had white castle hamburgers and this sounds awesome!

23. Linda June 16, 2010 at 11:19 pm - Reply

They do look great, HoneyB–I've had that recipe saved for a long time; thanks for the reminder to make them because Hubby loves White Castle–we buy them at Sam's.

I looked up Lighthouse but didn't find a website for them–I would love to order some of those red onion flakes!

24. Amanda June 17, 2010 at 1:44 am - Reply

I am seeing sliders everywhere! Bet yours are the best though 🙂

25. Angie's Recipes June 17, 2010 at 1:03 pm - Reply

The burger looks so tempting! Simply delicious.

26. Grumpy and HoneyB June 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm - Reply

Thanks everyone!
    Kristina, I may have to take a trip to the city with you! 🙂
    Linda, I mispelled Litehouse. I have linked to the product webpage for you! 🙂

27. Cathy June 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm - Reply

I've seen White Castle in Chicago when I've visited but have never stopped to eat there. Your burgers look fantastic and I just have to try this method of making them. A small burger is perfect for me too.

28. Cristine June 17, 2010 at 2:54 pm - Reply

Definately bookmarking this one, although I don't know if I have enough self control to limit myself to one! 🙂

29. Cheryl June 17, 2010 at 5:05 pm - Reply

I have been wanting to make these, but all the other recipes I have seen are way too complicated. I love yours!

30. Nan June 20, 2010 at 9:32 pm - Reply

What a great idea! I never get a burger because I only like a bite or two….perfect!!

31. Megan June 21, 2010 at 1:16 am - Reply

I love that you make one burger and cut it into 6 sliders. Oh so easy, I'll be making these!

32. Jamie July 1, 2010 at 10:54 pm - Reply

Shelby,
    Aggie has these on her site right now. Somehow I missed them on yours. I will be making these this holiday weekend. I think they will be a huge hit.

33. l April 14, 2011 at 3:39 am - Reply

Hi,
    Just read your blog about White Castle not being in NYS. I live on Long Island and we have four that I know of and plenty of them in Queens. Thanks for the recipe.

34. Shelby April 14, 2011 at 8:32 am - Reply

Hello I – When I wrote this blog post I was living in Northern NY which is a good 8 hours from the city. I now live in Albany area and I still don't know of a White Castle here. NYC Seems to be a place of it's own! 🙂

35. […] also are a good idea. White Castle Like Sliders are made in the oven for ease or these oven-baked Ham and Swiss Sliders are also […]

36. […] White Castle Like Sliders are a copycat recipe where the beef burger is baked in the oven in one large burger. They are then cut then placed on a slider roll. […]