Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes with their deep dark chocolate flavor always put a smile or a funny face on someone and my family is no exclusion!
This week has been a week for vacations, family, food, fun and lots and lots of love…..but most of all….(and I am taking a chance here because some people might not love me anymore after this!)
It has been a week of………..
FACES
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes Funny Faces
 Funny Faces
(and yes, even the doggies were making them!)
 and if my Nanny were here
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes Funny Faces
I’m pretty darn sure she would be joining in on the fun! What is it about sticking your tounge out for photos?  🙂 Yeah, I have done it too.  I just couldn’t find one with me sticking my tongue out.  So if any of you who are mad at me for putting this up here has one, send it to me.  I’ll share!
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes Funny Faces
Nanny’s Mayonnaise Cake recipe – turned into cupcakes – frosted with buttercream – and 48 of them devoured over 3 days.  Yummy!  Yes, Matthew (my first photo) seemed to think so too.  He devoured several of them (unfrosted at that!).  Nanny would be so proud.
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes Funny Faces
 and while you can’t see the crumbs on his face here I wanted to include Austin – who stole the last cupcake with peanut butter frosting.  It must be a family thing to be loving Nanny’s recipe!
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes
Author: Grumpy’s Honeybunch
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1-1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking soda
  • 6 heaping tablespoons cocoa
  • 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Line cupcake pan with liners (24 cupcakes). Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. All at once, add the mayonnaise, water, and vanilla. Mix with hand mixer until smooth. Using 1/4 cup measure, scoop batter into cupcake liners. Bake for approximately 20 -25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool and frost as desired.

1. Amanda June 3, 2010 at 12:59 pm - Reply

The cupcakes sounds great! LOVE the pictures, too funny! 🙂

2. honeyb June 3, 2010 at 1:13 pm - Reply

Great post!
    I remember mayo cake from way back when. I know it was supposed to be great cake. I'll have to remember that next time I make chocolate cupcakes.

3. bellini valli June 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm - Reply

Lots of happy faces eating, laughting and enjoying cupcakes Shelby:D

4. Michele O June 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm - Reply

Sounds like you had a fun and relaxing vacation. You deserve it! I will definitely try this cupcake recipe. Looks delish as well as the drink you made the other day.

5. Tupper Cooks! June 3, 2010 at 4:45 pm - Reply

Great pics- great food-great weekend!

6. Lori June 3, 2010 at 6:13 pm - Reply

Love that black and white photo. A delicious cake.

7. Cristine June 3, 2010 at 6:17 pm - Reply

Love the pictures, Shelby! Isn't it great to have family recipes? Grandmas are the best!

8. Jason June 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm - Reply

Happy happy people! Who wouldn't be with those wonderful cupcakes?

9. CookiePie June 3, 2010 at 7:03 pm - Reply

I love this post! LOVE all the photos, and that cake looks amazing. Family recipes are the best!

10. Mrs. L June 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm - Reply

I remember making a mayo cake way back when to surprise my family. I love the thought of making that into cupcakes (and I'd probably stick my face into them too!)

11. Barbara @moderncomfortfood June 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm - Reply

Love the cake, and it brings back wonderful memories. My grandmother regularly made mayonnaise cake decades ago, which we grand-kids used to gobble up in no time. And love the photos too, particularly the one of Grumpy, whom I've been curious about for ages but haven't actually seen before. He looks young, handsome, and not at all grumpy. Many thanks for this fun post.

12. Judy June 3, 2010 at 9:45 pm - Reply

Wow, those cupcakes look really good. I've never heard of baking w/ mayo before! The cake must be very moist. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

13. Megan June 4, 2010 at 12:04 am - Reply

Loved the funny faces! Tons of fun. The cupcakes look wonderful.

14. Jessie June 5, 2010 at 12:56 pm - Reply

ohhhh I've had cake with mayo before, it is so good! Mayo makes the cake extra moist too I can see why it was gone within days

15. averagebetty June 5, 2010 at 7:08 pm - Reply

I really need to try a mayonnaise cake sometime soon! These cupcakes look great!

16. Liz June 11, 2016 at 10:47 am - Reply

LOVE that you transformed this classic recipe into cupcakes! I’ll have to pull out the mayo and make them for the chocoholics around here!

17. Anonymous October 30, 2019 at 6:02 pm - Reply

18. […] will be celebrating my youngest son’s birthday which happens to be December 26th! We are a cupcake loving family, so to me, creating the perfect holiday moment combined with memories and treats is what mom […]