Peppermint Meltaways

Earlier this week I tried making cookies. Yes, I said tried. At first, I wasn’t going to even post these cookies because I was so frustrated when I looked at them in the oven. They are called Peppermint Meltaways and it seemed that about 4 or 5 of them were doing just that in the oven. Melting. I baked them on my super big airbake with parchment paper. Why some of them “melted” and why some of them didn’t I am not sure. What I do know is that other than my melting issue, these really are good cookies. If you like peppermint.

Peppermint Meltaways

These are a delicate shortbread type cookie. If you use peppermint oil – then be sure to only use a little bit. You don’t need as much as the recipe calls for. If you make these and your cookies melt or don’t melt I would be interested in knowing! At this point in time, I am thinking it was the cookie sheet I used. I’m serving these at our work Holiday party. We will see if they disappear….or meltaway. ;o)

Peppermint Meltaways
Author: Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
  • Cookie:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 1-1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • Glaze: (I halved the recipe for the glaze and had more than enough!)
  • 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter, softened
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 1-2 Tablespoons milk
  • 2-3 drops red food color
  • Hard peppermint candy or candy canes, crushed
  1. Combine 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour and cornstarch. Beat until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate until firm (30 to 60 minutes).
  2. Heat oven to 350. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute (important!); remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
  3. For Glaze: Combine 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in small bowl. Stir in food color. Drizzle over cooled cookies and immediately sprinkle with crushed candy.

1. Mags December 2, 2009 at 11:18 pm - Reply

How cute for Christmas! I love peppermint, especially this time of year.

2. Helene December 3, 2009 at 12:30 am - Reply

They are so nice. I like peppermint so I would probably enjoy these cookies.

3. Barbara Bakes December 3, 2009 at 2:38 am - Reply

Sorry you had trouble with them. They sure are a pretty cookie!

4. Stephanie December 3, 2009 at 3:57 am - Reply

They look absolutely DELICIOUS!!! I cannot wait to try them!! I'm sorry that they were such a grief to make… 🙂 I'm glad you did though!! 🙂

5. Katy ~ December 3, 2009 at 9:33 am - Reply

Little meltaways are such a delicate cookie, melting in the mouth as soon as they hit the taste buds. Peppermint sounds so good, especially this time of year. what is it about peppermint and Christmas?

6. tamilyn December 3, 2009 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Hmm, could you crumble up the melted one for an ice cream topping?

My daughter sent me a link for a peppermint brownie she saw. I didn't even know she like peppermint!

7. Dawn December 3, 2009 at 3:53 pm - Reply

shelby shelby shelby! a girl after my own food-heart. I love these, must make them asap!

8. Mari @ Once Upon a Plate December 3, 2009 at 4:40 pm - Reply

Shelby, they are so pretty! I'm sure we would like these…

It's so strange that some truly DID melt-away before your very eyes, hmmm maybe that's the key to the name. hehe!

I'm sure they will disappear at your Holiday party. 🙂 Lucky co-workers!

9. Laura December 3, 2009 at 4:43 pm - Reply

Yum-O. I love peppermint. And shortbread type cookies. These look fabulous. Were they all the same temp when they entered the oven or were some warmer than others?

10. Jessie December 3, 2009 at 6:21 pm - Reply

great holiday cookies and so pretty to look at. I love the decorations too all the trouble was worth it!

11. Patsyk December 3, 2009 at 8:01 pm - Reply

I hate when cookies don't appear to come out the way I expect them to. At least they were yummy… and your photos look wonderful!

12. teresa December 3, 2009 at 9:03 pm - Reply

oh my gosh, i loooove peppermint anything, these look outstanding!

13. CookiePie December 3, 2009 at 9:12 pm - Reply

I'm sorry these gave you trouble – they sure look beautiful!!

14. Ingrid December 3, 2009 at 11:06 pm - Reply

They're very pretty and I'm certain they will "meltaway" at your party.

I just spotted those eggnog thumbprints of yours so I gotta run!

15. pegasuslegend December 4, 2009 at 12:21 am - Reply

I love the pink on these they are so pretty….the mint gets you in the spirit for christmas baking!

16. Robin Sue December 4, 2009 at 2:23 am - Reply

These cookies are so dainty and pretty. Anything with a pound of butter in it is a friend of mine!

17. theUngourmet December 4, 2009 at 6:10 am - Reply

I do like peppermint. These are so pretty! I've been thinking of making a chocolate/peppermint treat of some kind.

18. Tracy December 7, 2009 at 12:43 am - Reply

Hmmm … if memory serves me right, I tried a similar cookie last year and had trouble with it. Pretty pics though!

19. Teanna December 7, 2009 at 4:08 pm - Reply

Those are beautiful! And perfect for Christmas! I never even had a meltaway, so I wonder what they taste like!

20. Dina December 8, 2009 at 4:48 am - Reply

i'm on a peppermint kick lately–i'd love to try these!

21. Lori December 11, 2009 at 2:41 am - Reply

So delicate and pretty.

22. theUngourmet November 28, 2010 at 9:47 pm - Reply

These are so pretty!

23. Pam November 30, 2013 at 6:24 pm - Reply

They look great and sound delicious – they are so pretty

24. […] Peppermint Meltaways From Grumpy’s Honeybunch […]

25. […] Peppermint Meltaways are just that! Full of peppermint flavor, this Christmas cookie recipe melts right in your mouth. It’s hard to stop eating these, especially if your a peppermint cookie fan! […]

26. Miriah October 27, 2019 at 11:18 am - Reply

27. […] Peppermint Meltaways will absolutely melt in your mouth and are loved by all peppermint fans. […]