Every once and a while I will receive an email from someone who reads my blog telling me how much they enjoy it. That is really heart warming – since many bloggers are aware that there are more than just those who comment who read. I have had a few email exchanges with one self labeled “fan” (Ed) in particular who recently sent me a recipe for his grandmother’s cranberry nut bread. It was really perfect timing as I was thinking about making some myself after having had some at my mother’s home just last weekend!

The bread is still warm in these photos because Grumpy couldn’t wait to have it cut into so he could EAT IT. He promptly took 3 pieces of the bread, buttered it, then sat in his recliner to enjoy. :o)

Below is the email with the recipe. I am adding some instruction as this recipe came to me as many of my grandmother (and mother’s!) recipes do. With ingredients but no instruction! ;o) Thank you Ed for taking the time to send me the emails & recipe! I appreciate knowing you are out there reading my blog! I didn’t have the Bogg’s cranberry liquor to add – but I sure wish I did have because it sounds like a great addition to the recipe!

Hi Shelby,
here is my favorite teabread recipe, about 70 years old, and from my mother.

Cranberry Bread
2 C flour
1 C sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 egg
2 T melted shortening
2 T hot water
1/2 C orange juice
1 C cranberries (crushed or popped)
1/2 C chopped walnuts
grated orange rind
1 large Pyrex loaf pan 325 1 hour or 2 small 45 min.
when a butter knife comes out clean, it’s done.
I sometimes add a bit of Boggs cranberry liqueur. I have also made it with pears and hazelnuts. The aroma when you take the pan out of the oven is heavenly. I am eating some now.

I mixed the dry ingredients (flour through baking powder). When I measured the flour I used the spoon & sweep method. I then blended the wet ingredients (egg through orange juice) together well and then carefully mixed the dry (including the cranberries and walnuts)into the wet ingredients until just moist. Baked as instructed.

1. Madame Sucre November 17, 2009 at 11:10 am - Reply

this is delicious! 70 years old recipe? wow you are lucky with those readers you got

2. The Cooking Ninja November 17, 2009 at 11:39 am - Reply

U have such nice readers 🙂 I would love to bake or cook a recipe from one of my readers one day.

His grandma's cake looks delicious – i can see it instantly from the photo.

3. Amanda November 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm - Reply

Looks wonderful and how nice of Ed to share the recipe! I have a bag of cranberries in the freezer and plan on buying some more this week before they disappear from the store till next year.

4. Leslie November 17, 2009 at 12:52 pm - Reply

That is so very sweet of your reader to send you such a delicious recipe!!!

5. Barbara Bakes November 17, 2009 at 1:53 pm - Reply

How great that he sent you a treasured family recipe. It looks wonderful!

6. Christy November 17, 2009 at 3:04 pm - Reply

How heartwarming to know that Ed shared a family treasure with you! The bread looks delicious, I love that Grumpy couldn't wait till the bread cooled to have a piece! Too sweet! 🙂

7. Bellini Valli November 17, 2009 at 3:32 pm - Reply

These are the best recipes that are passed down from generation to generation…what's not to love.

8. Ingrid November 17, 2009 at 4:08 pm - Reply

It looks and sounds amazing! (love the pop of color from the cranberries) Grumpy's no dummy! He knows what's what! 🙂

Thanks HoneyB (& Ed) for sharing!

9. Mags November 17, 2009 at 5:26 pm - Reply

How sweet of you to post Ed's recipe. Looks like some yummy cranberry bread.

10. teresa November 17, 2009 at 6:18 pm - Reply

what a fun exchange, the bread looks amazing!

11. Jamie November 17, 2009 at 8:03 pm - Reply

What a nice fan to share that recipe with you. The bread looks perfect for this time of year. Did you use fresh cranberries or dried?

12. The Duo Dishes November 18, 2009 at 12:19 am - Reply

That cranberry liqueur is most intriguing!

13. Kathleen November 18, 2009 at 1:18 am - Reply

This bread looks delish! How very sweet that ED sent you this treasured recipe!!!

14. Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ November 18, 2009 at 2:12 am - Reply

How sweet. For him to share and you to share it with us. It looks really delicious!

15. Sweet and Savory November 18, 2009 at 4:02 am - Reply

Ed is a doll to share this recipe with you. It looks delicious and the cranberries make it looks so pretty. I have cranberries left from another baked good and I would love to try this recipe.

16. Katy ~ November 18, 2009 at 10:27 am - Reply

YUM YUM YUM. I love cranberry bread. Now I see this and I HAVE to have it!

Thank you Ed and Shelby for sharing this heritage recipe!

17. Linda November 19, 2009 at 4:14 am - Reply

Tell Grumpy I would butter mine too. 😉

What a delicious looking bread!