Cranberry Muffins with Chocolate and Orange cut in half on a white plate

These Cranberry Muffins are tender and delicious breakfast muffin that is filled with fresh chopped cranberries, a slight hint of orange, and chocolate chips. They are moist and sweet with that little pop of cranberry sour in every single bite.

Cranberry Muffin with chocolate and orange on a white plate

Cranberry Muffins are ready in under 30 minutes and can be enjoyed warm straight from the oven. They can be drizzled with an optional orange glaze for that extra special touch. They can easily be reheated and are very portable. A perfect breakfast on the go, or afternoon snack.

What inspired me to make Cranberry Muffins

I first made these Cranberry Muffins in 2009. The year of my neck surgery. I had that surgery in March and was still recovering in November. The day I made these Cranberry Muffins was the day the neurosurgeon told me that I could “go on and live your life normally.” To celebrate, I bought some fresh cranberries to make my favorite muffin recipe!

The minute I see fresh cranberries on the market shelf, my mind migrates towards making these muffins. These are the best Cranberry Muffins I have ever made and is my all-time go-to. I love how you get a sour bite of the tart cranberry within the sweet and perfectly crumbed muffin. Naturally, I make these in the fall when cranberries are in season because I love the fresh cranberry

Cranberry Muffin cut in half on a white plate

What you need to make this recipe

Other than the basic baking ingredients, the items listed below are what I feel makes this recipe successful.

Fresh Cranberries: To get the best results, I highly recommend fresh cranberries. Frozen cranberries can be substituted in a pinch without much change in the texture.

ingredients mis en place

Orange Zest: I love fresh orange zest, but you can substitute dried in place of it. While this is an optional ingredient, I love the combination of cranberry and orange with chocolate!

A good muffin pan: All you need is a basic 12 cup muffin pan. Nothing fancy required.

Cupcake wrappers: I love these non-stick cupcake liners. There is nothing worse than having our baked muffin (or cupcake for that matter) stick to the liner. I use these all the time!

muffin batter in cupcake liner in a muffin pan

Tips for making Cranberry Muffins

Making muffins can be tricky. Below are a few suggestions to help to make the best Cranberry Muffins ever!

• Be sure the butter is melted, but not hot.
  • Similar to biscuits, you don’t want to overwork the batter. Stir only just until the dry ingredients have combined into the muffin batter.
  • Use a food chopper to chop the cranberries. This releases the liquid from them and will chop them into smaller pieces. My favorite food chopper is this one!
  • Gently fold the cranberries and chocolate into the batter. Only a few motions should be needed to do so.

Make this recipe your way

The possibilities are endless with this recipe. Below are some variations that you may want to try also.

• Substitute lemon zest for orange.
  • Make mini-sized muffins!
  • Use white chocolate chips in place of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
  • Substitute dried cranberries for the fresh.
  • Stir in 1/2 cup of your favorite nuts. We love pecans and macadamias in this cranberry muffin!
  • Fancy the muffin up a bit and make a glaze with 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar and 1 tablespoon of orange juice (more juice to thin as desired) then drizzle the glaze over top of the hot muffin. The glaze will soak in a little and infuse with more orange flavor!
Cranberry Muffins Pinnable Image

Other muffin recipes you may want to try

When I first started writing this blog, one of the things I was making ALL the time was muffins. Below are some of my very favorites that you may want to try also!

Almond Joy Muffins are sweet, moist, and delicious. With coconut milk in the batter, the crumb is extra tender and the coconut flavor comes through just enough but not overly strong.

Rhubarb Crumb Muffins make use of the best of the spring crop of rhubarb with a delicious sweet crumb topping.

These Banana Walnut Muffins with Maple Icing make great use of overripe bananas!

My favorite Keto Muffin Recipes

Since Rhubarb is a staple in our home, I had to make a muffin that was keto-friendly. These Keto Rhubarb Muffins with Crumb Topping hit the spot!

Because Grumpy’s favorite fruit is the raspberry, I made these Keto Raspberry Muffins to please his palate!

*If you made these Cranberry Muffins with Chocolate and Orange, please leave a star rating*

cranberry muffin cut in half on a white plate
Yield: 12 Muffins

Cranberry Muffins

Delicious, moist, and tender, these Cranberry Muffins are full of fresh cranberries and chocolate chips. A perfectly portable breakfast or snack!

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
  • 2/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange rind (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and grated orange rind (if using).
      2. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Stir in the cranberries and chocolate chips.
      3. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the almond milk, butter, vanilla extract, and egg. Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until the flour has been incorporated.
      4. Scoop the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
      5. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
      6. Remove muffins from pan immediately and place on a wire rack. Store muffins at room temperature for 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months.

Amount Per Serving Calories 202Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 26mgSodium 164mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 3g

Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.

1. Donna-FFW November 5, 2009 at 12:28 pm - Reply

So glad things are looking up for you, such good news. I hear you on the running, its like a catharsis. I love it.

The muffins sounds delightfully delicious. So glad to see you back!

2. Cristine November 5, 2009 at 12:36 pm - Reply

I am so happy for you, Shelby! That is great news!

Your muffins look so delicious!

3. Mags November 5, 2009 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Oh Shelby, that's great news! So happy for you that you're able to start running again.

Nice looking muffins too!

4. Jo November 5, 2009 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Oh sweetie, I am so so happy for you! *hugs* and the muffins look divine too! But mostly I am just thrilled for you and Grumpy 🙂

5. gail November 5, 2009 at 1:24 pm - Reply

That IS good news!!! Hopefully all the rest of the stuff will just hurry on by! mmmm muffins

6. Mary November 5, 2009 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Your muffins look so great and delicious!

7. susies1955 November 5, 2009 at 1:54 pm - Reply

Awesome news Shelby. How wonderful,
    Susie

8. Jessie November 5, 2009 at 1:55 pm - Reply

that is great news! your yummy muffins are perfect to celebrate the occasion

9. Terri November 5, 2009 at 2:14 pm - Reply

Great news! So glad you are feeling so good. The muffins look delicious.

10. Lisa November 5, 2009 at 2:22 pm - Reply

Good for you Shelby! Glad to hear things are turing around!

11. Megan November 5, 2009 at 2:25 pm - Reply

Those are the sweetest words! Good for you Shelby, an I'm glad things are looking up. Big hugs!

12. Christy November 5, 2009 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Fantastic news Shelby!! I'm so elated for you! Can't wait to see what yummy recipes you have to post!

These muffins look scrumptious! I've been baking a lot with cranberries lately-we can't seem to get enough of them. They would love these, especially with the chocolate.

13. ebagger November 5, 2009 at 3:01 pm - Reply

Oh Shelby that is wonderful news! I know that through all these awful times, something wonderful is bound to happen. Something even more remarkable than what was there before. I just feel it! Put those running shoes on sister!!

Best,
    Emily

14. Josie November 5, 2009 at 4:19 pm - Reply

Awesome news!! (Better you than on the running though :))

15. Fallon November 5, 2009 at 4:43 pm - Reply

Welcome back!!!

16. Nanita November 5, 2009 at 4:52 pm - Reply

Примамливо предложение и красово!Поздрави!

17. Ingrid November 5, 2009 at 5:11 pm - Reply

I know it's been a rough time for you guys and am hoping that 2010 is a better year for you! BUT this is certainly a good start!

18. the ungourmet November 5, 2009 at 6:09 pm - Reply

I'm so glad to hear that you get to run again. I am not a runner so if my doctor told me I could run I would run away screaming! Kidding!

Exercise does wonders to lift our spirits doesn't it! Perfect time to be out running too. Autumn is such a great season.

Your muffins are delicious! 😀

19. HoneyB November 5, 2009 at 6:58 pm - Reply

Thanks everyone! AND Kim, you make me GIGGLE! ;o)

20. Lynda November 5, 2009 at 7:18 pm - Reply

So glad you got some good news, Shelby! You've had a rough year, but things are looking up!
    The muffins look delicious…I'm always looking for new ways to make muffins and these will be delicious! Thanks!

21. Coleen's Recipes November 5, 2009 at 9:53 pm - Reply

Ohhhhhhhh, you mean RUN, run. I was thinking "for political office" haha, where did I get THAT? Congratulations on your release to run…..excellent.

22. Gera @ SweetsFoods November 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm - Reply

So glad for you Shelby! Do you want to run with me? And later we enjoy your muffins after the training 🙂

Cheers!

Gera

23. Barbara Bakes November 5, 2009 at 10:19 pm - Reply

Sorry it's been a tough year! Sounds like the new one will be much better. The muffins sound yummy!

24. Christine aka Mistress of Cakes November 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm - Reply

That is such wonderful news! I am not a runner..unless it's after my little girls lol. Congrats though..I am so glad you are feeling better.

*hugs*

Christine

25. noble pig November 6, 2009 at 12:25 am - Reply

Good news and zest on…not hard to do with these beautiful muffins.

26. Katy ~ November 6, 2009 at 12:47 am - Reply

Finally, some good news! YAY

27. Donalyn November 6, 2009 at 1:37 am - Reply

SO glad for your good news – yay! These muffins look pretty darned tasty too 🙂

28. Mary November 6, 2009 at 1:47 am - Reply

Glad you are back…yours is one of my very favorite food blogs!

29. Patsyk November 6, 2009 at 1:51 am - Reply

What fabulous news! I'm so happy to hear things are turning around for you! Those muffins look like a great way to celebrate such good news!

30. Jamie November 6, 2009 at 2:26 am - Reply

What great news from your Dr. So glad to hear things are getting better for you. And that you can get back to your running.

Your muffin looks wonderful.

31. Helene November 6, 2009 at 2:42 am - Reply

So glad to read the news. So happy for you. Those muffins look delicious.

32. teresa November 6, 2009 at 4:16 am - Reply

oh to be able to exercise again must be so wonderful! that is a perfect energy booster! and the muffins look like just the thing to accompany that!

33. Cookin' Canuck November 6, 2009 at 4:45 am - Reply

Congratulations on your wonderful news! Strap on those running shoes.

34. Kathleen November 6, 2009 at 7:02 am - Reply

Glad your back. Congrats on the running.Hope the other things work out as well! The muffins look great!

35. Tasty Eats At Home November 6, 2009 at 2:42 pm - Reply

CONGRATS! Thats great news to hear. Yummy muffins too!

36. CookiePie November 6, 2009 at 7:30 pm - Reply

YAY!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!

37. Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ November 7, 2009 at 1:08 am - Reply

That's great news! I am so happy for you! Making muffins is a good way to celebrate! They look yummy!

38. Laura November 7, 2009 at 1:16 am - Reply

I confess "I can run" would not be words of joy to me 😉 but I am very happy for you nonetheless!

39. Katie's blog November 8, 2009 at 6:52 pm - Reply

I am so excited for you! Things are looking up. Don't look down or back – just go forward!! Have a great day and a great run!

40. Anonymous January 9, 2020 at 10:57 am - Reply