These Raisin Bran Muffins are a classic old-fashioned recipe straight from the POST© Raisin Bran Box. A vintage cereal box recipe that I have enjoyed since my early childhood and made in my Nanny’s kitchen. I consider this muffin recipe an individual quick bread that in modern days are easy to make and take as well as a weekend relaxing pleasure!

Raisin Bran Muffin cut in half on a plate

This old-fashioned muffin recipe is comfort food that has a warm, sweet, and inviting aroma. A perfect way to wake your family up in the morning! I love to enjoy one or two Raisin Bran Muffins with a hot cup of coffee on the weekend. Or, they are great to send in lunch boxes or put in someone’s had as they head out the door for the day as a portable breakfast!

Why I make Raisin Bran Muffins

The times I am baking in the early morning is when my Grandma Mae (Nanny) comes to my mind. I always think of her, how she would do it and how she would bake muffins in the morning.

One particular recipe I remember making with Nanny is Raisin Bran Muffins. Many mornings I would be at Nanny’s house for breakfast. I would get up early with my dad and ride over to her house with him. Dad would be on his way to work and he would be picking up Poppy to give him a ride. Me, I would go into Nanny & Poppy’s house and go upstairs to snuggle with Nanny for a little while before we would get up to have warm muffin breakfast.

baked muffins in a muffin tin

Troubleshooting this Raisin Bran Muffin recipe

• Use a non-stick pan or muffin liners to keep the muffins from sticking to the pan.
  • To prevent dense heavy muffins, be sure to sift the flour, then spoon it into the measuring cup. Do not tap the cup to pack the flour.
  • If your muffin tops don’t dome, it could be your oven temperature is not calibrated. Use an oven thermometer to make sure it is the right temp.
Raisin Bran Muffin in paper wrapper on a plate with bacon in the backbround

My love of old fashioned muffin Recipes

They weren’t called the good old days for nothing. Old fashioned recipes are some of the best recipes to enjoy. Some may take a little bit of work but are so worth it. I grew up in an era where convenience foods were becoming popular. As a result, I had exposure to how the recipes from the depression era were made as that is the era my mom grew up in.

People did things differently in the olden days, anyone from the baby boomer era had the experience of knowing how things were done before it was made easier. However, having said that making recipes the way they did when my grandmother and mother were growing up is an art that I hate to see lost!

Sentimental old me and the one who inspired me to cook and bake

If you haven’t guessed, I was very close to my Nanny. I don’t know that many people are so lucky. Maybe it is different if you are a girl. I was very blessed to have the most wonderful grandmother. She was sweet, kind, loving and sometimes naive (or so we thought!). And, making these Raisin Bran Muffins always brings that sentiment back to me.

My Nanny loved to joke, she loved music. She had the most wonderful smile and she never judged me. Instead, she opened her arms (and her doors) and brought me in close. Her home was my home and her heart loved me unconditionally. That is how I want my family and friends to remember me.

Pinnable Image for Raisin Bran Muffins

A muffin recipe torn from the cereal box

The photo above is the recipe for Post Raisin Bran Muffins that she tore this from the cereal box. No matter that I love things neat and orderly, I will not change this card because it came from her house, her cereal box and her hands that tore it from there.

If Nanny was still here, then this morning I would pack up some Raisin Bran Muffins and run down the road, pj’s and all, to share them with her. It would certainly be something that would make her smile and say “come on in Shelby Mae.” I hope you will make and love this recipe as much as I do and create some memories with your loved ones!

What’s new? Check out my Grumpy’s Honeybunch Store on Amazon!  Thanks so much for being a part of Grumpy’s Honeybunch!

I LOVE my Wilton Non-Stick Muffin Pan. It’s perfect for making these muffins. If you don’t have muffin wrappers, you don’t need to worry, because you won’t need them with this muffin pan!

More Family Muffin Recipes you may enjoy

Rhubarb Crumb Muffins

Maple Cornbread Muffins

Lemon Mascarpone Muffins

Banana Walnut Muffins with Maple Icing

Jumbo Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Streusel Topping

Raisin Bran Muffins
Yield: 9

Raisin Bran Muffins

A light and not too sweet muffin full of bran and raisins that is so delicious!

• 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 melted butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/2 cup raisin bran cereal, lightly crushed

1. Mix flour with sugar, baking powder and salt. whisking dry ingredient
  2. Combine melted butter, milk and egg. melted butter milk and eggs
  3. Add to flour mixture. Mix only enough to moisten flour. adding wet to dry ingredients
  4. Fold in cereal. folding in cereal
  5. Fill greased muffin pans about 3/4 full. scooping muffin batter
  6. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

1 muffin

Amount Per Serving Calories 105Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 21mgSodium 199mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 3g

Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.

1. Bellini Valli September 19, 2009 at 12:12 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing these wonderful memories of your Nanny Shelby.It sounds like you were truly blessed.

2. Donna-FFW September 19, 2009 at 12:45 pm - Reply

I need a tissue after reading this..so sweet, loved it.

They look amazing, btw.

3. Jamie September 19, 2009 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Shelby,
    What a touching post about your grandmother. Sounds like you had a wonderful and special relationship. Treasure that torn out recipe and think about all the times she touched it to make those muffins.

4. Jessie September 19, 2009 at 1:28 pm - Reply

very touching entry, it's okay to remember ones we love. It sounds like you and nanny had so many wonderful memories together, go right ahead and keep cherishing them 🙂

5. Barbara Bakes September 19, 2009 at 1:35 pm - Reply

How wonderful that you were so close to your grandmother. Mine lived about an hour away and we only saw them about once a month. The muffins look great. I love that she got the recipe of the raisin bran box!

6. Leslie September 19, 2009 at 1:43 pm - Reply

soooo sweet. I love the fact you keep the original recipe

7. Mags September 19, 2009 at 2:15 pm - Reply

What a lovely tribute to your grandmother. She must have been a very special person. Those muffins look pretty special too!

8. natalia September 19, 2009 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Ciao !I'm sure your grandma was soo fond of you too ! She must have been a wonderful nanny and person !!

9. the ungourmet September 19, 2009 at 5:14 pm - Reply

These just look amazing and I love your liners! Perfect for autumn!

10. the ungourmet September 19, 2009 at 5:16 pm - Reply

Your Nanny sounds like a sweet person! I miss my grandma sometimes too. We used to have the best talks! ;0)

11. JyLnC September 19, 2009 at 7:29 pm - Reply

I loved my grandmother, too. Unfortunately, I didn't live close enough to have those wonderful Saturday morning memories but I can relate to associating recipes with our wonderful grandmothers.

I love Raisan Bran and I'm going to have to try this recipe…in honor of grandmother's everywhere who make their grand daughters feel loved and special.

12. haleysuzanne September 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm - Reply

I am the same way. I have many of my Grandma's recipes, cards, clippings – she is still alive, but she doesn't cook anymore. So, she's given me these things. I marveled over them as a child, and I treasure them still. Sometimes I don't need a polished, gourmet recipe. Sometimes, I need the exact recipe I used to help my Grandma in the kitchen with.

And those muffins sound great. 🙂

13. Wasilla September 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm - Reply

Awwww, sentimental? Yes. Wonderfully written? Yes. How sweet. Your line "come on in Shelby Mae" brought a tear to my eye. Thanks, what a great way to start my Saturday.

14. Gera @ SweetsFoods September 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm - Reply

Lovely memories to your grandmother and a really sweet tribute to her! As always your desserts are outstanding yum yum 🙂

Cheers!

Gera

15. Katy ~ September 20, 2009 at 12:23 am - Reply

Shelby, you are just so very, very dear. Beautiful, touching post. Your Nana has graced us all.

My gosh that muffin is gorgeous!

16. Peabody September 20, 2009 at 6:41 am - Reply

I love that it came from the box. That is where a lot of my beloved family recipes come from…or so I have found out over the years.

17. Ivy September 20, 2009 at 3:11 pm - Reply

What a lovely, touching tribute to your 'nanny. You are very lucky to have such precious memories. Mine all died before I was born and I only met one grandfather but he died when I was five, so I do not have memories of him either.

18. Christy September 21, 2009 at 1:37 am - Reply

You caught me on a nostalgic day of my own and brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely story, thank you for sharing it and the wonderful recipe for the muffins. When I bake these for my kiddos' breakfast, I'll think of you!

19. teresa September 21, 2009 at 4:18 am - Reply

what a sweet tribute post!

20. Parita September 22, 2009 at 12:31 pm - Reply

muffins look fabulous! so moist and delicious!

21. Laura September 22, 2009 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Wonderful post. 🙂

22. Jamie September 24, 2009 at 12:27 pm - Reply

What wonderful memories and what a delicious way to remember her and such happy, innocent days. Gorgeous muffins.

23. Megan September 24, 2009 at 12:32 pm - Reply

Lovely post Shelby. Makes me miss my granny and my mom.
    Muffins looks like it would hit the spot. Love those recipes on the back of the box!!!

24. CookiePie September 24, 2009 at 1:18 pm - Reply

How wonderful that you have such beautiful memories of your grandmother! I can almost smell those delicious-looking muffins baking… 🙂

25. Jersey Girl Cooks March 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm - Reply

Great post Shelby. I love that you saved the recipe from the box. The muffins look so moist and delicious.

26. Ellen March 6, 2019 at 6:43 am - Reply

What a delicious looking muffin. Such great family memories too.

27. Judy May 19, 2019 at 11:00 pm - Reply

Such s nice memory and Recipe:) Have you heard of The Peanut Butter Company Brand Peanut Butter? They have a Cinnamon Raison Swirl Peanut Butter to DIE for! Try it on your muffins:).
    If you add it to your muffin batter,please send me a revised recipe in my Email!!!!!
    I love Raisons too!

• Shelby Law Ruttan May 20, 2019 at 6:46 am - Reply

Thanks Judy! I have heard of the company (I actually made a PBJ Cupcake from one of their cookbooks that is on my website!) I haven’t seen the Cinnamon Raisin Swirl PB. I will have to look for it!

28. Miriah October 21, 2019 at 8:41 pm - Reply