My boys, the perpetual jokers. As I sit here putting this together I am thinking I should have made a face along with them, but of course, me, miss prim and proper doesn’t even like the photo of herself as is. If I had made a face, I probably wouldn’t have put it up at all!

We celebrated Justin’s birthday last night with a BBQ. He requested Fireman’s Field Chicken & Salt potatoes. I made a salad to go with and for dessert he requested Coconut Cream Pie.

Last night Kristina told me she went back to my blog yesterday afternoon because she expected more from me with it being Justin’s birthday. Well, last year I wished him happy birthday with a progression of photos. You can see that post by clicking HERE. I decided this year I would wait until we celebrated and I would post photos from that celebration. 😉

Yeah, yeah, I know, I actually put the dessert photos up first….but those silly faces, I just wanted them to be the first thing you would see. 😉

My birthday boy, all grown up and 24 years old. I loved him in every stage. I loved him when he was growing inside me, I loved him when he was stubborn and came 10 days late. I even loved him when he gave me a hard time coming into the world …. for 36 hours. The Dr even decided that to get him here he had to do a c-section! I loved him when he would keep his daddy and me up in the night wanting to play instead of sleep. I loved him when he sucked his little thumb….omg that was so cute. lol. I loved him when he wanted to hold the fuzzy blanket under his nose. I loved him when he would put his daddy’s boots and hats on (and he was so tiny!) and play around like he was daddy. I loved him when he would come home from kindergarten and patiently answer all my questions about what his day was like, even right down to what he at for lunch. I loved him as he grew up and was no longer a baby. I love him today like only a mother can understand. He is my precious first baby boy and my heart just swells with love for him. Who knew a person could love so much?

This was Justin’s Coconut Cream Pie. I decided to substitute half of the milk in the recipe for coconut milk and instead of vanilla extract I went with coconut. This pie was rich but really awesome. Its definitely a celebration pie. Not something to make on a regular basis because it is not weight friendly (if you care about that!) I was lazy and bought a Pillsbury pie crust yesterday. I knew I had too much to do to make a homemade crust….but Pillsbury pie crusts are so good that it doesn’t matter if you don’t make your own!

Justin’s B-Day CCC Pie

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup 2% milk
1 cup coconut milk
4 egg yolks, well beaten

Mix the sugar and cornstarch together. Gradually add the milk to the sugar and then add the yolks. Cook in heavy bottomed pan over medium heat until mixture begins to boil. Boil for 1 minute. Make sure you stir the pudding the entire time you are cooking.

Remove from heat and add:

3 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup coconut

Combine well. Pour into prepared (already baked) pie crust. Place saran wrap over the top to prevent skin from forming. Cool and refrigerate.

To make whipped topping:

1-1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whip together until cream is stiff. Don’t whip too long or you’ll have butter! Top pie with cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Serve & Enjoy!

1. Barbara Bakes July 16, 2009 at 11:53 am - Reply

Looks like you had a fun celebration! The pie looks perfect!

2. Linda July 16, 2009 at 12:11 pm - Reply

HoneyB, the pie looks scrumptious. Your kids are hysterical–I know you're proud of them.

3. Mags July 16, 2009 at 1:43 pm - Reply

Love the goofy pictures. Makes me homesick for my boys.

4. Lisa July 16, 2009 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Great pictures! Decadent pie!

5. Creative One July 16, 2009 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Your son's are so lucky to have such a wonderful and amazing mother.

Delicious looking pie!

6. Frieda July 16, 2009 at 2:55 pm - Reply

Perfect pie! It's nice to see someone who loves her boys just as much as I do mine! Happy birthday!

7. Ivy July 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Happy birthday to Justin. You look great in the picture and it seems you had a lot of fun at the party. The Pie looks delicious.

8. Coleen's Recipes July 16, 2009 at 6:49 pm - Reply

What a perfect pie! I've been hungry for a coconut cream pie for six months or more!! Your crust looks excellent. Can you share the recipe?

9. Helene July 16, 2009 at 6:56 pm - Reply

This is such a great post. A mother will always have a special place in her heart for each of her children. Love to see you all smilling and having a great time. Tart looks delicious.

10. CookiePie July 16, 2009 at 8:16 pm - Reply

Happy birthday to Justin!!! And yum, what a gorgeous pie!

11. Katy ~ July 17, 2009 at 12:08 am - Reply

What a hoot those boys are!

What a terrific pie to celebrate with them!

12. Reeni♥ July 17, 2009 at 1:16 am - Reply

Happy Birthday Justin!! These pie looks just heavenly!

13. Patsyk July 17, 2009 at 1:30 am - Reply

That is a gorgeous pie!

14. Donna-FFW July 17, 2009 at 1:39 am - Reply

Such a lovely, lovely family. Your pie looks so beyond delicious.

15. JyLnC July 17, 2009 at 2:39 am - Reply

There's nothing like a mother's love is there? I love anything coconut and your coconut cream pie looks divine.

16. Ingrid July 17, 2009 at 3:00 am - Reply

Happy birthday belatedly to Justin! It was mine on Monday which was the 13th. My Honey's on the 19th and my twin boys are on the 25th all in July. I also have three aunts born in July as well.

Your pie looks wonderful! Good call on upping the coconut flavor.

17. Jamie July 17, 2009 at 3:18 am - Reply

Happy Birthday to your son! What a great birthday pie. My husband would go crazy over that pie.

18. Delectable Dining July 17, 2009 at 3:46 am - Reply

Looks so yummy! I love your tribute to your boy! 🙂 Beautiful post!

19. tamilyn July 17, 2009 at 8:05 am - Reply

How sweet. Justin, see how lucky you are??

20. Lynda July 17, 2009 at 7:52 pm - Reply

The pie looks to die for-love the idea of using coconut milk!
    Our oldest son's BD was Tues. and we had BBQ too. I did alot of remminising also; sniff…they grow up so fast!
    Have a great week end, HoneyB!

21. Bellini Valli July 17, 2009 at 8:08 pm - Reply

I know you had a fantasic time Justin and your birthday pie is close to my favourite which is lemon meringue above all:D

22. Leslie July 17, 2009 at 8:20 pm - Reply

boys will be boys!!!!

23. kiss my spatula July 17, 2009 at 11:16 pm - Reply

coconut cream pie is one of my all time favorites and yours looks so delicious!!

24. Pam July 19, 2009 at 8:17 am - Reply

Happy b-day to your boy. Wish I could have a slice of that beautiful pie…I love coconut.

25. Diane C July 20, 2009 at 10:43 pm - Reply

Hi Shelby, I'm a new subscriber to your blog. You sons are very lucky to have a mother who is a very creative cook. They probably wonder how their wives/girlfriends will ever come close in the kitchen to mom. They have been spoiled with good home cooking. The coconut cream pie looks absolutely delicious.

You also piqued my curiosity with the BBQed Firemen's Field Chicken & Salt potatoes. Do you have any recipes?

26. HoneyB July 21, 2009 at 12:41 am - Reply

Hi Diane! Glad you left the message to let me know you are reading!

My son's wife is actually a very good cook herself. The fact he has gained weight (finally!! wish I had his problem) is a good sign she is feeding him very well! 🙂 My other son is still single and loves to come home or have me bring him some goodie from home. 🙂

I will email you with the Firemen's Field Chicken recipe. I haven't decided to do a post on it yet. I will also email you a link to a recipe another friend found for salt potatoes. I don't go buy a recipe, I buy the bag labeled salt potatoes in the grocery. Apparently they don't have them everywhere!

27. Cristine July 21, 2009 at 6:52 pm - Reply

You are such a sweet mom, Shelby! Your post made me smile! And that pie looks great!

28. Tangled Noodle July 23, 2009 at 2:18 am - Reply

This birthday coconut cream pie is tremendous but nothing could be sweeter than your love and dedication to the young man who will always be your darling boy!

29. Jason November 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Looks amazing!!

30. […] son Justin always wants Coconut Cream Pie, someone has to be different and want pie! While Chris is happy with just about anything you make […]