Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies are a soft cookie base with creamy eggnog flavored filling. They make a festive addition to your holiday cookie tray. Whether you are serving them at a party or giving them away as a gift! If you love eggnog, then you will want to make these cookies!

These tender, delicious bites of heaven are perfect for comforting your soul when it’s cold outside. Snuggle up in your favorite spot with a blanket some Eggnog Thumbprint cookies. Add a hot beverage and a good book for a relaxing afternoon!

A tray of eggnog thumbprint cookies

A Christmas Cookie Family Tradition

Every family has its Christmas Cookie traditions. There are certain recipes made that were handed down from generations. I love to make Sugar Cookie Cutouts in the shape of snowflakes. They are one I have made for years, as well as Chewy Mocha Toffee Chip Cookies and Italian Christmas Cookies.

While I love trying new cookies out for the holidays, it can be overwhelming when making too many. I like to have a variety of cookies to put out for Christmas Eve. I normally will start in November and freeze the cookies I have made. That way, I can be sure to have that colorful tray of Christmas Cookies.

A gold tray lined with christmas cookies

Making and Storing Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies

Thumbprint Cookies are awesome. They all start with a base cookie, and the filling can be anything you want! I love these Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies, the bite of rum that comes through with the sprinkled nutmeg is absolutely delicious.

Freeze first, fill later or fill now and freeze. Either way works and depending on your situation, one may be better than the other.

Filled Thumbprint Cookies for any Holiday

Eggnog Thumbprint cookies are great for any holiday or event. No matter what the occasion, you can always make the base cookie and fill it with whatever you want to! Below are just a few ideas to make the holidays fun and festive!

Christmas: The Eggnog Thumbprint or a Peppermint flavor with candy sprinkles.

Thanksgiving: Pumpkin or Pecan Pie flavors.

Fall: Apple or pear filling

Patriotic Holidays: Vanilla or cheesecake flavor filling with chopped berry topping.

Easter: Coconut or Malted flavors, maybe some chopped robin eggs for color.

Valentine: Try Chocolate mint flavors, or sub Fireball Whisky subbed for the rum in these eggnog thumbprint cookies. Then, sprinkle with a little cinnamon or red hot cinnamon candies.

Spring: Fill with your favorite spring flavors, berries, jams, cheesecake.

Tips for making Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies

a thumb pressing a dent in the center of the dough
  1. Be sure to chill the dough but not for more than an hour. Longer than that they dough will be hard to handle
  2. Use a piping bag instead of “spooning” the filling. It works wonderfully!
  3. Use spiced rum instead of rum extract to intensify that “authentic” eggnog flavor.
  4. Don’t be afraid to put a good thumbprint dent in that cookie!
  5. Be generous with the eggnog filling, double the filling recipe if you need to.

What you need to make Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.

Parchment Paper: I love parchment paper for less mess and non-stick reasons.

Large Baking Sheet: I like a sheet that will allow me to put at least 2 dozen cookies on it.

Rum or Rum Extract: If just adults will consume these cookies, opt for the rum. However, if you don’t have it on hand or will be giving these to a family with children, go for the rum extract. Just add milk in place of the rum so your filling will be creamy.

Piping Bag: These make filling the cookies SO much easier and neater!

Fresh Nutmeg: There is nothing better than a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.

Microplane: I use this Microplane to grate the whole nutmeg and sprinkle over top of the cookies. A Microplane has many great uses in the kitchen and I will never be without one!

More Thumbprint Cookie recipes you may like

For those living low carb and keto lifestyle, it doesn’t mean you have to go without! Try Lemon Curd Thumbprints or Strawberry Rhubarb Thumbprint Cookies. Both are delicious! Make this eggnog version by making the dough of either recipe and sub the sugar-free sweetener in the filling! Easy peasy!

Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies are chocolate balls of dough rolled in chopped hazelnuts and filled with Nutella. Divine!

Red Velvet Thumbprint Cookies are gorgeous and festive and filled with a peppermint swirled kiss!

Lastly, these Coconut Lime Thumbprints are buttery and delicious with your choice of raspberry or lime filling!

Need more Christmas Cookie Ideas? Check out the 25 Best Christmas Cookies on Grumpy’s Honeybunch!

*If you made these Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies, please leave a star rating*

Pinnable Image for Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies

More Thumbprint Cookie recipes you may like

Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies
Yield: 36 cookies

Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies

Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies are a soft cookie base with a creamy eggnog flavored filling. These are perfect for your holiday cookie tray, whether you are serving them at a party, or giving them away as a gift!

• 3/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon spiced rum

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl beat 3/4 cup butter till softened. Add sugar and brown sugar and beat till fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, and salt and beat well. Add flour and beat till well mixed. Cover and chill about 1 hour or till easy to handle.
  3. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Press down centers with thumb. Bake 12 minutes or till done. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire racks.
  4. For the filling, in a small bowl beat 1/4 cup butter till softened. Add powdered sugar and beat till fluffy. Add rum and beat well. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon filling into the center of each cookie. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Chill till filling is firm.

Notes

*You may substitute 1 tablespoon milk and 1/4 teaspoon rum extract for the rum.

1 cookie

Amount Per Serving Calories 98Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 19mgSodium 54mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 0gSugar 7gProtein 1g

1. Bellini Valli December 17, 2008 at 1:18 pm - Reply

I hope your arm is on the mend HoneyB. Ice can be so treacherous!!!! I know you have wonderful treats all around your home for the holidays…so control yourself while you are at home…wink…wink….

2. Bunny December 17, 2008 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Oh man that had to hurt! I hope your arm feels better soon! I think you should take a long nap, then order dinner out cause it’ll be to painful for your arm to cook, have the kids do the dishes and stay on the couch till it’s time for bed. That’s my unoffical medical opion! LOL! These cookies look very good HoneyB, I like soft cookies!

3. Jessie December 17, 2008 at 1:34 pm - Reply

These look so good! And man, I hate it when the beasts in my house won’t let me sleep!

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

4. Cristine December 17, 2008 at 1:49 pm - Reply

Oh no!!! I hope your arm starts feeling better and you can get some rest! Ice is no fun!

Those cookies look fantastic, though! You’re killing me with all this goodness that I MUST make! 🙂

5. Cathy December 17, 2008 at 2:09 pm - Reply

Oh, ouch. Ice is nasty stuff. Schools have been closed all week here and we have another ice and snow storm in the forecast.

So it’s cookie baking time. Love this recipe. Can’t wait to try it.

Hope your arm heals quickly, HomeyB.

6. Barbara Bakes December 17, 2008 at 2:14 pm - Reply

I think you have every right to whine. I hate cold weather too! I think we both live in the wrong place. Sorry about your fall! Hope you’re feeling better soon. Your cookies look lovely. I think I need a piping bag.

7. Maria December 17, 2008 at 2:33 pm - Reply

I hope your arm is feeling better. The cookies are beautiful!

8. Elle December 17, 2008 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Oooh, i love eggnog..and rum, lol! They look so pretty and delicious! so sorry about your arm, poor thing.

9. Meg December 17, 2008 at 4:26 pm - Reply

I love eggnog! These are just perfect.

10. Natashya December 17, 2008 at 5:13 pm - Reply

You poor little bunny! I hope you have enough rum left for pain management. 🙂
    The cookies look so very cute! Hubby has been asking for some with rum in them.

11. Ingrid December 17, 2008 at 5:35 pm - Reply

Love eggnog!

I’m sorry about your mishap and hope it’s nothing major. I’m not a doctor but if its still swollen and hurts after a couple of days you should have it looked at. One of my twins just broke his hand in a freak accident and for a couple of days I thought (hoped) he just jammed his finger! Even when I took him in I thought it was nothing but I couldn’t ignore that after a couple days it was still swollen. Feel better!

12. Dawn December 17, 2008 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Ouch! I hate falling. Last year I fell and hit my head, talk about pain. I hope your arm gets better. I hope we get some sun some, all we’ve been getting is rain and sleet. I’m so ready for summer.
    Maybe someone will make you dinner for a change.

13. Gera December 17, 2008 at 6:41 pm - Reply

Hi HoneyB!

What a problem I really hope you’ll feel better of your arm!!
    So delicious this Eggnog I can experience the rum of this tantalizing recipe!!

Gera .:. sweetsfoods

14. Debbie December 17, 2008 at 6:53 pm - Reply

Your story had me laughing. I took a good fall on my butt on the ice last year. Your cookies look great. I love eggnog!

15. JyLnC December 17, 2008 at 6:59 pm - Reply

I hope your arm feels better and I’m with you on the weather. It has been psycho weather here in Chicago land.

The cookies are beautiful and I bet they taste great.

16. Linda December 17, 2008 at 7:09 pm - Reply

As we know, upstate NY can be
    B-A-D in the winter. Take care of that arm and hope it feels better quickly.
    The egg nog cookies look super. I may have to try these while we are away!

17. RecipeGirl December 17, 2008 at 7:18 pm - Reply

More eggnog goodies… love these! If I had the energy to make more cookies this year, I’d make these!!

18. nicole December 17, 2008 at 7:53 pm - Reply

I hope everything is ok with your arm. Hope you didn’t break it. Those cookies look fantastic.

19. Laura December 17, 2008 at 8:11 pm - Reply

I never get as many cookies as I am supposed to from recipes–wonder what says about me, lol. 🙂

Those cookies are adorable–wish I liked rum.

This post made me laugh a little (at myself) because I had been jealous of your weather. DOn’t get me wrong, I won’t be come March (I’ve lived in the snow belt) but I always wish for snow in December. We too have had the freezing rain–it was all black ice here last night. I hope your arm feels better soon–slipping and falling sucks. 🙁

20. recipes2share December 17, 2008 at 8:59 pm - Reply

poor you – take care! Cookies look great – wished we lived closer for a swap!

21. Pam December 17, 2008 at 9:12 pm - Reply

We’re having the same terrible weather. I am so sorry about your fall…ugh. Eat some of these beautiful cookies – they’ll make you feel better.

22. shellyfish December 17, 2008 at 9:25 pm - Reply

I’m so so sorry about your arm – please do go and have it looked at, you don’t want to be suffering if there’s something that can be done. I can *so* relate to it, trust me!
    I was going to say that I couldn’t wait to veganize these, but I’m not going to , because I would eat them all! Every last one – they are too beautiful!

23. Debbie December 17, 2008 at 11:11 pm - Reply

I guess I can’t complain about work being crazy right now and my computer at home is in the shop.
    It would be silly of me to complain about those trivial things. ~grins~
    I love eggnog!! I have Friday, Saturday and Sunday planned for baking. Will put these on my list.
    I hope your arm is better soon.

24. Trying to Stay Calm! December 17, 2008 at 11:56 pm - Reply

Just wanted to stop by and wish you a blessed and very Merry Christmas! ♥ Hugs 🙂 Shauna

25. Gabe's Girl December 18, 2008 at 12:41 am - Reply

I was looking for a cookie to make for my book club tomorrow. I love how these look! Would they be transporter friendly? Two and a half dozen would work for me. If I stack them to go, will the centers be firm enough not to smooch together?

I know it may be hard to get back to me because of your arm, so do not worry about it. I wish you the speediest of recoveries!

26. noble pig December 18, 2008 at 12:45 am - Reply

I love these…and love the white color, and he eggnog…so festive!

27. Reeni December 18, 2008 at 1:13 am - Reply

I’m sorry about your fall and being up half the night. Your cookies look awesome, I love the eggnog filling! YUM!!

28. Megan December 18, 2008 at 3:12 am - Reply

I’ve never thought about using an eggnog filling for these cookies but your recipe sounds so perfect! We have been getting rum eggnog since Thanksgiving so it will be nice to put it to another use. Great recipe!

29. creative one December 18, 2008 at 12:52 pm - Reply

I hope your arm is feeling better from your fall. The cookies look yummy.

30. Fearless Kitchen December 18, 2008 at 3:28 pm - Reply

These look great – I’ve got a friend who would absolutely adore them!

31. kickpleat December 18, 2008 at 9:09 pm - Reply

um, these look amazing. and i don’t even like egg nog that much.

32. CookiePie December 18, 2008 at 9:22 pm - Reply

So sorry to hear about your fall – hope you’re feeling better!!

Your cookies are so lovely, and it’s such a great idea to make them eggnog-y! Delish!

33. A Vegetarian that Cooks Meat December 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm - Reply

Your cookies look like tiny works of art! Very happy to look at, but I don’t know if I’d have the heart to eat them!

34. Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats December 19, 2008 at 1:23 am - Reply

More lovely cookies for me to copy! You are very talented and imaginative. Hope your arms heals soon.

35. Christy December 19, 2008 at 2:00 am - Reply

Shelby, I hope your arm feels better and you are finally able to rest! 🙂 These cookies look phenominal…I’m adding the ingredients to my grocery list right now..I have to make these.

36. TeaLady December 19, 2008 at 4:04 am - Reply

Girl!! You better take care of that arm. Sometimes injuries are worse than you think. On the positive side what a great way to get lots of TLC – whining is sometimes good.

And your cookies look great. Guess I better get baking….

37. J.Danger December 19, 2008 at 7:55 pm - Reply

sorry about your arm! Thats what you get for being left handed anyways!

38. Liz December 20, 2008 at 6:40 am - Reply

Oh, I might have to add these to my christmas cookie list! I don’t personally like eggnog, but they sound delicious (for those people who do) and they look adorable.

39. No Thyme To Cook December 21, 2008 at 12:24 am - Reply

The eggnog cookies look great! Have to add them to the to try list! Definitely with the rum!

40. Diana December 22, 2008 at 3:48 am - Reply

Those sound delicious! I have a little bit of coconut rum and I think that sounds really good for this recipe. Heal quickly!

41. Cakelaw December 23, 2008 at 3:24 am - Reply

These look absolutely super – the filling in them intrigues me. Hope your arm is feeling better.

42. Kaitlin December 27, 2008 at 7:47 am - Reply

these look so beautiful and delicious!!

43. Sweet as Coco December 29, 2008 at 12:01 am - Reply

WOW! These look really yummy! I am really craving eggnog now!

44. AllisonWonderland December 30, 2008 at 3:00 am - Reply

These were super popular. I made them for one of my co-workers. She loved them , thanks for sharing!!

45. Gretchen December 13, 2009 at 12:49 pm - Reply

These look so yummy! I can't wait to try this recipe. I will definitely have to take them to work so I don't eat them all!

46. JMom December 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm - Reply

Hope your arm feels better! I just printed this out to try at home 🙂

47. Sherri Jo November 15, 2014 at 10:09 am - Reply