Today, as I write this, it is a beautiful autum day. The sun is out, its not quite 70 degrees and you can just smell the fall air so fresh. I love country living. It is days like this that remind me that city life cannot compare. We may not have the convenience of stores, malls or restaurants, but it is a day like this that reminds me that they aren’t important. Having to drive an hour to get to a good shopping town is worth it for what I have here!

Grumpy has been outside most of the day working on the shed. While I have been doing laundry and hanging it out to dry on the line since I still can. I have also been baking.

We have company coming tonight for dinner. A perfect occasion for me to make an apple pie with those apples my mom and dad gave me. I used for the very first time my ceramic pie bird, and I even decorated the pie with fall leaves! I had enough apples to make two pies, so the second one I placed in the freezer unbaked so I have one ready to bake when the mood hits!

I really love Dorie’s Good for Almost Anything Pie Crust, but this time I decided to go ahead with Butter Flavor Crisco because my experience with Dorie’s crust with a pie has been that it melts. It works better with something like the Summer Fruit Galette.

Fall Apple Pie

Pie Crust:
(Classic Crisco recipe)
This will make a double crust 9″ pie

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup well chilled Crisco Butter Flavor Shortening
(I use the Crisco Sticks – and use 3/4 stick)
4-8 Tablespoons ice cold water

Blend flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut chilled shortening into cubes into flour mixture using pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with pea sized pieces remaining.

Sprinkle 4 Tablespoons of water over mixture and stir with a fork. Add more water by the Tablespoon until dough holds together. It takes about 6-8 Tablespoons for me.

Divide dough in two with one ball slightly larger than the other. At this point, I place back in my mixing bowl (both balls of dough) covered with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Remove dough from refrigerator and place larger ball of dough onto floured surface. Using floured rolling pin roll dough into a circle until about 2″ wider than the pie plate. Ease bottom crust into pie plate and trim evenly around plate. Fill with pie filling (recipe will follow). Roll top pie crust, lift onto filled pie. Trim dough with 3/4″ overhand; fold top edge under bottom crust. Press edges together and flute. Cut slits in top crust.

I wanted to be a little bit “fancy” so cut out fall leaves to decorate the pie in honor of our beautiful fall day. All I was missing was my sugar crystals which I could not locate!

Apple Pie Filling:

8 cups sliced apples (This was 6 large apples for me)
1 cup splenda or regular granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice

Pre-heat oven to375 degrees. Place apples in large bowl. Stir sugar, spices, cornstarch, and lemon juice into apples. Pour apple filling into bottom pie crust. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter (break butter into small pieces all over top of pie filling) and cover with top pie crust. Crimp edges. I normally cover the crust with tinfoil the first 40 minutes of baking, remove foil and continue to bake for 20 minutes more.

Serve with homemade whipped topping ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Michele October 13, 2008 at 1:43 am - Reply

We both cooked with Crisco today. ๐Ÿ™‚

I love that you used a pie bird. I think it ads a special classy touch to a pie.

As much as you love living in the country…I love the city. I think it is because I grew up out in the middle of nowhere…and I rebelled.

Hope you had a great weekend Shelby!

2. Anonymous October 13, 2008 at 3:15 am - Reply

Beautiful Shelby!
    Jam

3. Sharon October 13, 2008 at 3:34 am - Reply

Look at that crust! The fall leaves are a lovely touch.

4. Barbara Bakes October 13, 2008 at 4:24 am - Reply

What a gorgeous pie! I’m jealous of your weather! I hope your party went well.

5. noble pig October 13, 2008 at 5:25 am - Reply

Question…I love the golden color…how tightly do you cover the pie while baking?

6. PaniniKathy October 13, 2008 at 5:53 am - Reply

Ahhh…that pie just screams “autumn” to me. I especially like the leaves! It was lovely to see the photo of the fall foliage too…something I definitely miss living in southern CA.

7. HoneyB October 13, 2008 at 8:59 am - Reply

Thanks everyone! I didn’t get to eat any ๐Ÿ™ horrible toothache – but my friends reassured me it was delicious….

Cathy – I covered the pie tightly – the only hole was in the pie bird. I also brushed the top of the pie with milk for the color.

8. Cristine October 13, 2008 at 1:25 pm - Reply

Oooh… I love apple pie!!! Isn’t fall so beautiful? I had the kids out in the leaves today for pictures. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Jessie October 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm - Reply

Oh, yum, HoneyB! That looks great! We just went apple picking yesterday, so there’s definitely pie in our future, too!

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

10. Stephanie October 13, 2008 at 3:32 pm - Reply

That pie looks wonderful. I love apple pie, and your crust is just beautiful.

What is a pie bird? Is it that white thing in the middle of your crust? What is it for? Just curious. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Katie October 13, 2008 at 4:41 pm - Reply

I love the pie bird. And the decoration on the pie. I want a slice really bad right now.

12. Pam October 13, 2008 at 5:06 pm - Reply

Wow. This looks amazing. I love your pie pan – it’s so cute. The crust looks flaky and delicious.

13. Anonymous October 13, 2008 at 5:32 pm - Reply

oh yeah my fav apple pie…..and with splenda…im so gonna make this come payday :P…thanks a million!
    Daisy

14. Ingrid October 13, 2008 at 8:22 pm - Reply

Hi~
    I can think of another plus to living so far from the stores… you are probably not in there shopping all the time (as I would be). Thank goodness my children keep me too busy to stop as I pass all the shops on my way home!

Your fall photo looks beautiful! I’m in FL and there is no autumn here. Gotta love a shot of a man working! ๐Ÿ™‚

Your pie looks gorgeous!!

15. Carrie October 13, 2008 at 8:27 pm - Reply

What beautiful photos! Our leaves are all fallen here…our autumn is way too short. That pie looks great! What a great treat for such a lovely day.

16. Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 12:39 am - Reply

okay, so, now that i check your blog daily (if not a couple times a day), i get a little jealous that justin and i don’t get to eat some of your yummy items. in particular the cookies and muffins! we need to figure out a baked goods delivery system so we get to taste test for you too!

i bet justin would have loved the pie!

~ kristina

17. Matt October 14, 2008 at 12:10 pm - Reply

I would gladly trade my proximity to great shopping centers for such beautiful surroundings. Despite the fact that I love books and old movies, I love being outside even more.

Your pie, by the way is beautiful!

18. Jess October 14, 2008 at 6:39 pm - Reply

Both the pie and scenery are gorgeous…apples and autumn leaves make the Northeast so nice this time of year.

19. Kevin October 15, 2008 at 1:38 am - Reply

That apple pie looks so good! What an amazingly golden brown crust!

20. Laura October 15, 2008 at 4:27 am - Reply