Crispy Country Fried Steaks are covered with a creamy and delicious homemade Mushroom Gravy is pure comfort food on your plate! This is a great Sunday dinner recipe for your family in the fall. When the cool weather hits the air and you want to warm your soul and satisfy your tummy!

Country Fried Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy on a serving plate

The great thing about this Country Fried Steak recipe is you can have a delicious steak and gravy dinner for only 226 calories! It tastes rich in flavor but low in calories, making it a meal you can easily add a serving of homemade Mashed Potatoes to without feeling guilty!

A long-time family favorite recipe

Grumpy has several meals that are comfort food meals that he loves to eat. Most of them involve beef or venison and always incorporates some sort of pasta or potato. He has always been a meat and potatoes man. If he could have his way, he would the meat and potatoes every single night of the week.

Country Fried Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy on a plate

Country Fried Steak was not something I personally remember my mom making when I was a child. I remember her frying steaks in the skillet but never had it breaded and fried that I can remember. So, for me, this was a newer concept, but one I was definitely willing to try!

cube steak, milk egg wash, and flour

Converting Country Fried Steak to a lower calorie recipe

Because he loves his steak and potatoes with gravy, I decided it was time to find a way to make this Country Fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy calorie friendly. That way, we could enjoy this meal more often without feeling so much guilt.

The beef itself was a lean cut of Certified Angus Beef cube steak. I reduced the fat even more by using egg whites and skim milk for the egg wash. Then, I used a non-stick skillet with minimal oil. The end result was a crispy fried country steak with incredible flavor!

Mushroom Gravy for the win!

From everything I’ve read, Country Fried Steak is very similar to Chicken Fried Steak. The only real difference is the gravy. Country Fried Steak is served with a brown, or beef flavored gravy. And, Chicken Fried Steak is served with a white gravy that is made with milk-based gravy.

For this recipe, I decided to add mushrooms to the gravy to give it a little substance and extra flavor. The mushrooms were chopped, then cooked in the same skillet the steaks were cooked in. Once the mushrooms were cooked down and golden brown, I added the broth mixture to make the gravy. It was super flavorful and SO delicious!

Tips for making Country Fried Steak

Follow the tips below for a successful country fried steak recipe.

• After you dip the steak in the egg wash, hold it up and let the excess liquid runoff. This will prevent the flour coating from getting too “wet” and not allowing it to crisp up.
  • Cook the steaks on medium-high heat. Anything lower will cause the meat to “sweat” and cause the coating to come off.
  • Make sure the steaks are nicely browned and crispy before flipping them over. You may wantm to turn the steaks over in the pan only one time.

Tips for making Mushroom Gravy

• Make sure the mushrooms are roughly chopped and don’t use more than two cups. If you do use more than two cups, you will have mushrooms with a light coating of gravy.
  • Resist the urge to add more oil or butter to the pan before you cook the mushrooms. Once they start to release water, you will be able to scrape the browned bits from frying the steak easily.
  • Cook the mushrooms until all water has released and they have turned a golden brown.
  • Whisk the flour mixture constantly when adding to the mushrooms in the skillet. This will ensure a smooth gravy for your country fried steak.

What to serve with Country Fried Steak

Mashed potatoes are a go-to for steak with gravy. But, if your looking for a lower-carb option, then this Garlic Mashed Cauliflower with Browned Butter Sauce is amazing!

Skip the potatoes altogether and serve Grumpy’s recipe for Bachelor’s Pasta on the side! Or, Cheesy Orzo with Basil is another pasta dish you may enjoy.

If you’re a fan of rice, this Saffron Almond Rice Pilaf is one of my personal favorites.

Save room for dessert!

It is likely your making this as a special family dinner. If so, then you must have dessert! Some of our favorite desserts are Banana Cake with Browned Butter Maple Frosting, Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Spiced Cream, or Classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake!

*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating*

Country Fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Yield: 4 servings

Country Fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy

Good old fashioned comfort on your plate with a lower calorie version of Country Fried Steak with Gravy

• 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 (4-ounce) sirloin cubed steaks
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil

for the gravy:

• 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
  • 2 cups mushrooms, quartered
  • 2-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 (14 ounces) can fat-free, low salt beef broth

1. Combine 3 tablespoons milk and egg whites in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk.
  2. Combine 1/3 cup flour and next 4 ingredients (1/3 cup flour through pepper) in a shallow dish.
  3. Working with 1 steak at a time, dip in egg mixture; dredge in flour mixture.
  4. Repeat procedure with remaining steaks, egg mixture, and flour mixture.
  5. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove steaks from pan; keep warm.
  6. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Combine 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and broth, stirring with a whisk. Slowly add milk to the pan.
  7. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Spoon over steaks. Serve with mashed potatoes.
  8. Serving size: 1 steak, about 1/3 cup gravy

Amount Per Serving Calories 226Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 23mgSodium 889mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 2gSugar 12gProtein 18g

Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.

1. Barbara Bakes July 24, 2008 at 11:51 pm - Reply

I have never made country fried steak and it’s a Cooking Light recipe – I’ll have to give it a try. I’d definitely say it looks scrumpdillyumptious!

2. Kevin July 25, 2008 at 1:03 am - Reply

Steak and mushrooms are two of my favorite things and this looks really good!

3. noble pig July 25, 2008 at 3:24 am - Reply

Ha! That’s hilarious and that does look scrumpdillyumptious…you should copyright that phrase.

4. Judy July 25, 2008 at 12:41 pm - Reply

I also love steak and mushrooms – yummy. BTW, I’ve tagged you! Have a nice weekend.

5. Carrie July 25, 2008 at 5:00 pm - Reply

Haha, the scrumpdillyumptious is too funny. All those mushrooms look so yummy…I could smother everything in mushroom gravy.

6. Bobby July 25, 2008 at 6:00 pm - Reply

I was thinking about making something similar to this tonight but it’s really hot in here 🙁 Your version looks delicious!

7. Sharon July 25, 2008 at 7:24 pm - Reply

I had absolutely no idea country fried steak could be low fat! Great work 🙂

8. DocChuck July 25, 2008 at 8:24 pm - Reply

I never met a country fried steak that I didn’t love. But your version looks as good as those babies I enjoyed in Arkansas.

Good job.

DocChuck

9. Lo July 25, 2008 at 9:11 pm - Reply

I came.
    I gawked.
    And I drooled.

Now my keyboard is acting up 🙂

10. Anonymous July 25, 2008 at 9:46 pm - Reply

Congratulations for making it onto Tastespotting!

11. familiabencomo July 26, 2008 at 12:04 am - Reply

This totally speaks to me. This is my kind of food. I bet Grumpy was over the moon happy to have this meal especially made for him. Great job.

Yay, I've been out of the loop for a while & I've finally caught up with ALL of your posts. Sorry for the absence. You're such a dear & I missed you.

xoxox Amy

12. Vickie LeBlanc July 26, 2008 at 1:20 am - Reply

Although I don’t eat meat – my mouth is watering from looking at that picture. I love fried mushrooms.

13. Kim July 27, 2008 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Oh man that looks so good! I have been craving what I consider winter type foods lately – weird I know – and this SO works.

14. Jamie July 27, 2008 at 4:13 pm - Reply

That looks really great! I am always on the hunt for lighter dinners!

15. Elle July 28, 2008 at 2:22 am - Reply

This looks wonderful!!!

16. Linda August 3, 2008 at 12:12 pm - Reply

HoneyB, tell Grumpy “thank you” for me!

17. Louise Wyers November 4, 2008 at 3:54 pm - Reply

The woman above posting as “MrsDocChuck” is in no way related to the original “DocChuck”.

I should know.

Louise Wyers,
    Clearwater, Florida

18. Ingrid November 4, 2008 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Love it! Your Grumpy is a riot! Scrumpdillyumptious, I’m adding that one to my vocab! I just have to remember how to spell it.
    I can’t wait to it say to the kids and see their faces! Your dinner did indeed look scrumpdillyumptious! LOL!

19. Cajun Chef Ryan July 28, 2010 at 12:52 pm - Reply

Country Fried Steak with Cream Gravy and mashed potatoes was always a popular menu item on our rotation specials menu. Sold out every time too!

This Cooking Light version looks like a very good way to enjoy the same with a healthier bent!

Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

20. Maria July 28, 2010 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Extra mushrooms for me:)

21. Cookin' Canuck February 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm - Reply

This is comfort! I could happily eat that mushroom gravy with a spoon.

22. marla February 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm - Reply

I can see why he would love this one!! Looks awesome with that mushroom sauce 🙂

23. Deeba PAB February 22, 2011 at 4:11 pm - Reply

Nom Nom…looks finger licking good. I like Grumpy. He's got good taste!

24. Jackson February 23, 2011 at 4:52 am - Reply

I'm looking at this just before bedtime and suddenly I am starving. I need a big ol plate of this immediately!

25. Anonymous June 10, 2014 at 4:31 pm - Reply

Just one question when do you add the 11/3 cups of milk for the gravy instructions?

26. Sandra November 22, 2015 at 2:54 pm - Reply

I made this recipe last night. However, I feel that something was left out of the instructions. In the ingredients for the gravy it calls for 1-1/3 cup fat free milk. But, in the directions, it does not say to add milk to the gravy. I put the milk in with everything thing else but it turned out very thin. I added more flour, which helped, but not a whole lot. Can you tell me if there is anything else I can do to thicken the gravy up?

• Shelby November 23, 2015 at 5:08 am - Reply

Hi Sandra, The milk goes in after you add the flour and broth. I had inadvertently typed broth instead of milk and have updated the recipe to reflect this. My apologies! As for the gravy not thickening up, adding more flour should help. I like to mix flour with some water (whisked until no lumps) then whisk it into the gravy. I’d start with about a tablespoon of flour to about 2 tablespoons water. That should help. Another alternative is to use cornstarch instead of flour.

27. Elizabeth December 5, 2018 at 7:13 am - Reply

There is also a meat cuber named “Fast Cutlet Maker” that smash the meat lobes and form clear squared pattern on it. Its popular in Poland.

• Shelby December 5, 2018 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Hi Elizabeth, that’s pretty cool, I’ll have to see if I can find one!

28. Miriah October 19, 2019 at 5:16 pm - Reply

29. […] mashed potatoes are delicious with this Country Fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy […]