A coffee cake recipe full of texture and flavor is not something you expect to be low-fat. However, this Blueberry Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese is all that! It is an easy to make recipe that is perfect for breakfast or brunch. Full of blueberries and flavor that the whole family will love.
This Blueberry Coffee Cake is a great recipe to enjoy with a hot cup of coffee in the morning. Or, you may want to sit down for a snack with a hot cup of tea in the afternoon. We also have enjoyed it as a part of our family weekend brunch. It is a delicious breakfast cake that also can stand in as dessert.
My love of blueberries and cake
My love of blueberries and finding ways to enjoy them is unending. One of my very favorite blueberry recipes is this one for Soft Blueberry Cookie. The sweet and sour pop of the blueberry and tangy citrus combination is music to my mouth.
I also love cake. Coffee cake, birthday cake, cupcakes, you name it. If it has the word cake in it, then I am all over it! So, it seemed natural to make this Blueberry Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese the next recipe on my list to share with my readers.
What you need to make this Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Blueberries: Fresh blueberries are best, however, frozen blueberries will work also. Just be sure they are individually quick frozen blueberries and not all stuck together. The blueberries will need to be frozen still when adding them to the batter. Do not thaw.
Cream Cheese: Make this low fat and use reduced-fat cream cheese. However, using regular cream cheese will not change the recipe in any way. I’ve done both ways and it turns out delicious either way.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
Butter: Butter gives flavor and there really isn’t a whole lot in this recipe. Four tablespoons divided over 8 servings are pretty small. Do not use reduced-fat butter. There is water in it and it will change your recipe.
9″ cake pan: I used this one. I love it. It is so pretty and it makes the blueberry coffee cake look even prettier! You can also use a springform pan.
Parchment paper (optional): depending on your cake pan, you may want to line it with parchment paper to prevent sticking. However, if you use a ceramic cake pan like I did (see above), you should be fine without it.
Make this recipe Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe your way
- Instead of a cinnamon sugar topping, make a crumb topping. There is a recipe for a crumb topping that would work in this recipe for Lower Sugar Banana Crumb Muffins.
- Skip the topping altogether and make citrus drizzle with lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Substitute 1/2 cup of sour cream for the cream cheese
- Make individual cakes. Line a muffin pan with parchment paper muffin liners and scoop the batter into the pan. Then, bake for 30 minutes, or until the individual coffee cakes have browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
Other blueberry recipes you may enjoy
If you are a fan of blueberries like I am, then you may want to try some of my other blueberry recipes.
This Blueberry Cream Tart is not only easy to make but beautiful! There is a cream cheese layer over top of a phyllo crust that is topped with fresh blueberries. It is one of my go-to dessert recipes when I am short on time.
A Red, White, and Blueberry Pie is another quick and easy blueberry dessert recipe that our entire family loves. The cream cheese filling covers a white chocolate layered pie crust with strawberries dipped in white chocolate and fresh blueberries in the center of the pie.
Cherry Blueberry Trifle is another recipe that can be breakfast or dessert! The fresh fruit is layered with ladyfingers and vanilla yogurt.
A healthier recipe is this Blueberry Almond Chia Pudding. I love it for breakfast or as a snack.
This Blueberry Pound Cake is a lighter recipe that I have enjoyed for many years. The texture in this cake is perfect and of course, so are the blueberries!
Low Carb Blueberry Recipes for the Keto eaters in your life
These Blueberry Sweet Rolls is my favorite keto breakfast recipe with blueberries. While the texture is not the same as a regular sweet roll, the flavor is there and it is a recipe worth trying for the low carb dieter in your life.
Speaking of that blueberry sauce, I like to make this recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Thumbprints and instead of the strawberry jam, I will fill the centers with the sugar-free blueberry sauce.
Last but not least, this recipe for Keto Blueberry Creme Brulee. I was inspired to make this recipe not only for my love of blueberries but for my oldest son also. We share a passion for blueberries it seems!
*If you made this recipe for Blueberry Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese, please give it a star rating*
A deliciously moist and tender cake that is great for breakfast, brunch, or even dessert. It is full of fresh blackberries and a wonderful texture from the cream cheese batter.
- 1/4 cup stick butter, softened
- 4 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- cooking spray
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 35o degrees.
- Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, mix the butter and cream cheese at medium speed until well-blended. Gradually add the 1 cup of sugar, beating well. Add the egg and mix until completely incorporated.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup and level with a knife.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla, then fold in the berries into the cake batter. Pour the batter into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray.
- Combine the 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour; cool on a wire rack. Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
Amount Per Serving Calories 264Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 40mgSodium 282mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 2gSugar 33gProtein 4g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.